What Age Can Tuberous Breasts Be Fixed At?

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1

In our practice we normally recommend waiting till the breast have fully developed.  The age may vary from patient to patient but most patient can consider surgery around 18.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts can be well corrected with breast implants, widening of the lower part of the breast, and flattening of the nipple. At 18 years old, you qualify to have breast implants and can have the procedure.

Michael Horn, MD

Timing for surgery of the tuberous Breast

+1

In my practice I wait until the patient is at least 18 years old. This allows her time for physical and psychological maturity so she can recover well.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Hello

+1

Correction can be made at age 18 or 21. We need to be sure you are done growing and going through puberty.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Timimg of Tuberous Breast Repair

+1

In my practice, I prefer to wait until the patients bra size has not changed for one year.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Timimg of Tuberous Breast Repair

+1

Typically you wait until you are completely  developed but in unilateral deformities that create asymmetry a  staged reconstruction can be carried out.  In this case you would need two surgeries.  In order to do this surgery only once you should wait until you are completely developed - probably around the age of 17 or 18

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

At What Age Can Tuberous Breasts Be Fixed?

+1

It makes sense to await the completion of breast growth. The age at which this occurs varies significantly from woman to woman, but it is usually complete 3 to 5 years after the onset of puberty.

To do any surgery while there is ongoing breast growth may compromise the final outcome of surgical correction. Improper implant sizes might be chosen, or inappropriate incisions used.

A consultation with a plastic surgeon may be done at any age, provided, if you are a minor, you have parental consent. That can prove quite useful in understanding the options that may be offered, and to understand the whole process.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Age not most important factor in timing tuberous breast repair

+1

Great question. There is not necessarily an exact age requirement for repairing tuberous or constricted breasts. I generally recommend patients wait until their breast size has been stable for a year or more. This gives you a better chance of having a more stable result for a longer time. For most women this means the 18-21 range.

One exception is in women with severe asymmetry along with tuberous or constricted breasts. The problem can be noticeable in clothing and can be hard to conceal. This can be distressing enough to warrant placing an adjustable implant or tissue expander in the smaller breast prior to her completing development. Volume can be added to improve symmetry until development is complete. Then, a more definitive procedure can be performed. With asymmetric tuberous and constricted breasts, it is important to understand that you may need revisions in the future as your breasts change throughout your life.

Lastly, you have to be mature enough to fully understand the benefits and risks of treatment to be able to make an informed decision if surgery is the right way to go for you. This is just as important as the physical requirements.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon