What Age is Recommended for a Chin and Jowel Lift? I' M 43 Years Old

At what age is a facelift recommnded for a chin and frown line lift? I'm 43 years old and have always been about 5'8" and pretty slender. This is definitely a heriditary issue, Are there any dr.'s that are good but also not as expensive? I read somwhere that the sagging neck works better when you get older, but I have quite an insecurity about this now. Any advice would be truly appreciated.I've always felt un attractive and was tormented by kids in school. Please. advice would really help.

Best age for a lift

+1

It is not uncommon for women to seek face lift surgery in their 40‘s.  If you feel that you are ready for surgery and your surgeons feels that you are a good candidate , then there is no need to wait until you are in your 50’s or 60’s.  In fact the younger you are typically the nicer the result after surgery and you will enjoy the benefits while you are still young.

Face Lift

+1

You should treat a condition, not one specific for an age.  Consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they will direct your choices. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has to complete a significant amount of additional training to be called a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and this is what you are paying for, the training to deal with the diversity of issues each and every unique patient presents with.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - What Age is Recommended for a Chin and Jowel Lift?

+1

It's not the age, it's the anatomy.  You can, of course, generalize - the older the patient the more likely the patient will have the anatomy that justifies a procedure such as this.  Age 43 is already an age where a certain number of people considering facelifts will have the anatomy that warrants that procedure.  If you have excess skin of your face and lower neck, jowls, etc - then it's reasonable at least to consider the procedure.  You should probably have a few consultations, just so you can get diversified views of what may be recommended.  Costs are a separate issue - there is, similarly, a wide range of costs that vary from region to region, and even within a given region.  Part of your research could and probably should be to compare those costs, and then you can make an informed decision considering all of those factors.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lowels

+1

Clearly good pictures would help. I just today saw a lady asking the same questions.  If you have the problem go ahead chronalogical age has very little to do with it. A good procedure is a triple win. You look better right now, your aging curve is not changed, [that is genetic] and if you ever want another lift you are better prepared.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Facelift has no "Specific" age requirement

+1

Many patients believe that there is a specific age at which they would be a candidate for a facelift operation.  The truth of the matter is that there is no “specific” age at which every patient becomes a candidate for a facelift.  Everyone ages at a different rate.  Hereditary factors are the most important when making a decision.  Some patients will begin to see some laxity of the cheek and neck tissue at a very early age.  Part of the reason may be due to the fact that they have very little fat on their face or they may have relatively thin skin.  Other patients that have quite full, round faces with heavy, thick sebaceous skin will not show wrinkles or laxity for many years.  The proper time to address these concerns with a facelift is when the patient begins to be bothered by these problems.  Some patients may require a chin and jowl lift at the age of 35, where as others may go until their late 50s before they begin to see some laxity in their face.  One way to determine if you are a good candidate for a facelift is to stand in front of a mirror and place your fingers on the cheek areas just in front of your ears  and lift the skin in that area.  If the jowls and the neck come up to a point where it is a significant difference, then, you may be a candidate for a cheek or neck lift.  There are various levels of surgery to address this.  The most common simple procedure would be to do a mini-lift procedure.  This operation is best suited for people with laxity in the jowls and early laxity in the neck and chin region. An alternative procedure for patients in their 30s and 40s such as you who are beginning to see some jowling and fullness in the chin region may be the Acculift technique which involves using a laser liposuction system in the jowls and submental area that allows rapid healing and significant improvement.  This procedure can be performed under light sedation with local anesthesia.  A more aggressive facelift would be necessary for patients with more extensive laxity in the neck region.  At the age of 43, you may be a candidate for the Acculift technique or a Mini-lift procedure.  I recommend that you consult with a qualified facial plastic surgeon to determine what options are best suited for your particular concerns. 

Daniel E. Rousso, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Right Age for a Facelift is Changing

+1

The right age for a facelift depends on the patient, the doctor, and the type of facelift you choose.  Patients are definitely starting earlier as a maintenance and prevention strategy.  Patients enjoy creating a more youthful, refreshed appearance, and you also create a scar tissue layer under the skin which makes it more firm and resistant to the constant pull of gravity.

If you like what you see when you pull in the mirror, then you are probably a good candidate to have a lift done.  The MOST important decision you will make is not when, rather which artist/doctor you will work with.  Once you find the right doctor, you can have the conversation and decide when is the right time for you.

Best of luck, please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Timing

+1

There is no defined age for having a facelift and necklift done.  Every person is unique.  Depending on your goals, you may opt for a more conservative approach to achieve a natural and balanced appearance.  I would recommend seeking a board certified facial plastic surgeon who can best address your concerns.  

Kimberly Lee, MD

No "Best Age" for a Face, Chin, or Jowl Lift

+1

deenie-  Thanks for the questions!  Overall, there is no set age for a facelift.  You should consider a facelift if non-surgical procedures aren't working for you, and if you are willing to undergo surgical recovery to get the maximal result.

Regarding "good but not expensive" doctors, I woudl consider searching your local community for Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, talking to them, talking to patients, and pick the person you're most comfortable with.  A facelift is a big decision in terms of energy, money, and time, and your best choice is someone who is qualified who has the best strategy and a great relationship with you.  A good source would be the ASAPS/ American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

If you have little or no sagging in your neck, then you may not need a neck lift, or not need much of a neck lift.  Only a consultation with a plastic surgeon can determine that.

Finally, you should consider a facelift if that is what you want.  Everyone has insecurities and memories of taunts from childhood, but don't let those guide you in your quest for facial beauty.  Only your own true voice can help you figure out what is best for your.

Best wishes to you and your new face!

Roy

Roy Kim, MD

What is the Proper Age for a Facelift?

+1

There is truly no "proper" age to entertain the idea of undergoing a Facelift.  I tell patients that "the mirror" will provide you with the best estimate.  In the early 40's it is not uncommon to see signs of aging in the form of mild sagging of the neck skin, and the early formation of "jowls".  A Facelift targets the lower third of the face, specifically the jowls and neck.  In this age group, a "mini-lift" combined with a neck lift is usually all that is necessary to provide rejuvenation.  A "mini-lift" will provide you with a quicker recovery, and usually at a lower cost.  If marked jowling and sagging of the neck is present, then a formal Facelift with neck lift is needed.  A consultation with an experienced Facelift surgeon will provide you with the correct path towards rejuvenation.  Please reference the link provided.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado.

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

No set age for Face Lift

+1

I have performed Face Lifts for over 20 years and there is no set age limit for Face Lifts.  If you have Jowls, then you are age appropriate.  If the nasolabial folds are also full, then micro-lipo could be used to thin these out removing excess fatty tissue.  It's always a good idea, aesthetically, to have your Cheeks evaluated as thy support the tissues, of the face.  Cheek Augmentation can be accomplished by using cheek Implants or fillers like Perlane or Radiesse.