Does Age Matter with Dental Bonding/veneers? What is the Better Option if I Want to Close Small Spaces?

So I am 16 years old and im looking to get dental bonding or veneers. I have done quite a bit of research and so far veneers sound like the better option however my mom said that I should wait till im 18 to get the procedure. So my question therefore is does my age matter with these procedures?

AGE IS A FACTOR ALONG WITH THE CONDITION OF THE TEETH

+1

At 16 years old I would not mess with doing anything to your teeth that is considered invasive or non-reversible. Don't be fooled that if you bond something that it is reversible.  If your teeth are in perfect condition and you like the shape, size, color, etc. explore using clear aligner treatment (Invisalign, Clear Correct, Inman, etc). If the spaces are too open I would still use the clear aligners then have the spaces closed with bonding. If it looks great then you're golden. You can always have porcelain veneers down the road if you prefer. Less invasion now is best for your teeth in the long run because you've got a lot of years ahead of you kid. If your teeth are not pleasing due to decay,restorations, or deformity, then I would consider placing veneers. Just remember, they will not last forever and may need to be replaced more then once considering your age. Chose a dentist who is conservative and knows his cosmetics.

Red Bank Cosmetic Dentist

Two Things Matter...MONEY AND YOUR AGE

+1

Let us address your age first. You are looking to close a small spaces between teeth.  There are three ways to go. If there are multiple small spaces, invisalign teen might be the best route. If there are only a few spaces you want to close, for example your upper and lower front teeth, maybe bonding would make more sense. Veneers are an option also but I think you need to factor in your age, reduction of enamel and more than one replacement over your lifetime.  There are also prepless veneers, which can be done with minimal reduction of enamel if you really are set on veneers.  Now let us look at the cost factor for you since you are the patient.  Invisalign will run around $4,000 to $5000 .  Veneers will run between $900 to $1300 a piece.  Bonding will run around $200 a tooth. So the choice is yours....do your research and see at least two or three dentists for consultations so you can make an informed decision.  Best of luck and be mindful what you choose, you will have for a lifetime!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Age does matter when choosing bonding or veneers

+1

Acutally the better option to close spaces is orthodontics (braces or invisalign). If your teeth are straight and they seem small, then bondings/veneers will be better.

Veneers are irreversible, meaning your teeth will have to be altered or ground down (even if it is very little). Your teeth need to last another 60-70 years and if you start altering them at such an young age they may not last that long. Veneers will have to be re-done on average every 10-12 years and everytime the teeth will get ground down slighly more.

So for anyone under 25 years of age (give or take), I recommend bondings. If done properly they can look amazing and they can last several years. The best thing about it is that they are reversible (meaning your teeth will not be altered at all). The bonding is added to your teeth so there is no grinding. As you get older and into your late 20s or 30s, you may decide to do the veneers.

Having said all that, depending on the case, sometimes veneers are the only choice that will solve the problem.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Age and Dental Bonding or Veneers

+1

At your young age, if you can accomplish your esthetic goals with very conservative bonding, then chose that option. Remember, whatever you chose will probably have to be redone every 10 years or so, and each time they are redone, you lose a little more enamel. If you start with Veneers at this age, more enamel will be removed than if you just do bonding. That being said, if you strongly need the most esthetic treatment, then go with Porcelain Veneers, but make sure you chose your dentist wisely. He/she must be very experienced. Ask to see photos of some of the dentist's actual work.

New York Cosmetic Dentist