At What Age Would You No Longer Feel Comfortable Performing a Tummy Tuck with Lipo Front and Flanks?

I am an almost 69 year old woman in good health and very active. In the past I carried my weight in my hips and thighs with a flat stomach, small mid-riff and waist. In the last year+ my weight is shifting to the front and collects from under the breast area to the bottom of my torso. I'm can't button pants that I wore when I was 10 lbs heavier. I am 20 lbs. overweight and will remain that way. Am I being unreasonable in considering a TT with lipo? Thank you for a sincere answer.

Tummy tuck and Age

+1

Age is not a contra indication to cosmetic surgery, however medial conditions are.  The first thing you need to do is see an internist to clear you for surgery.  Tell him that your are requiring anesthesia for approximately 3 hours.  I do not recommend simultaneous liposuction.  Once you are cleared, you may undergo the tummy tuck.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

What Age Would You No Longer Feel Comfortable Performing a #TummyTuck with #Lipo Front and Flanks? ANS:

+1

Overall health is much more important than age!!! I have done a TT on an 82 yo who was part of the "Dancing Grannies" troupe and she did really well...only took one pain pill!!! So it really depends on you and your health!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in a 70 year old

+1
I am very conservative on this score. Older patients have more complications and looser skin. I would never accept a patient's statement that they are in good health over a mandatory medical clearance from a treating physician,a cardiogram, chest x-ray and full blood profile. I would recommend that you first have a complete physical with your internist and ask him or her whether you can be cleared for surgery prior to seeking a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Age and tummy tuck

+1

You are not too old for a tummy tuck. What is more important is your overall health status. Please visit with a board certified ASPS member surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Age limit for tummy tuck?

+1

Jane:

If you general health is good, age is not a exclusion for this surgery. A tummy tuck can remove excess skin and fat from outside the abdominal cavity, and can usually tighten the abdominal wall. Without seeing a photo I can't really guess what would be best form you as far as liposuction. 

You are not at all being unreasonable in considering this. Make an appointment with a plastic surgeon, who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and you will be able to go over your options. Thank you for your question. 

No age limit on abdominoplasty

+1

Your chronologic age does not necessarily limit your ability to have surgery.  I have done abdominoplasty on people in their 70s.  Remember, each patient is carefully evaluated and should be surgically cleared not only with regard to being a surgical candidate (that is, have the right concerns and physical findings), but also MEDICALLY cleared by their internist/family practitioner for the surgery itself.  As always, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD