Age at Which Hair Loss Stops?

I was wondering at what average age do males stop losing their hair???? Considering a HT and am 55 years old. Will I need to repeat in the future?? Am a Norwood 5-6. Thanks

Hair transplantation for 55 year old

+1

Hair loss is dependent on many factors including genetics from both your mother and father's side.  By recalling the patterns that are in your family, you may have an idea of what is in store.   the process of hair loss is progressive throughout life but, the hair that is transplanted is permanent and will continue to grow.  The goal is generally coverage of the bald areas, since complete replacement is usually not possible.  However, in one or two sessions you should have coverage of the bald areas that will continue to look good for many years.  

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

When Hair Loss Stops

+1

There is no universal age at which hair loss stops. The amount and rate of thinning depends on a number of factors, such as environment, diet, general health, and especially genetics. Looking to your family history of hair loss is the best way to determine how much hair you’ll lose, when it will start, and when it will stop. This information will then tell you if a hair transplant is worth your while and if you’re likely to need a second one later on.

Web reference: http://www.dermhairclinic.com/hair-loss-info/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

55 year old hair transplant

+1

I have done a fair number of transplants on men over 50. Actualy I prefer working on older men who are not severly bald and have the problem of not looking well groomed. You cannot get a full head of hair but you will not look like a bald man.  The results of one or two transplant sessions should give  good cosmetic improvement the rest of your life. The late Senator Strom Thurmond stll had hair coverage from his transplants when he died at age 100. He had his work done in middle age. Vice President Biden is also a good example of an older man who without transplants would look slick bald.  

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss for those who have it will continue until you die.

+1

Hair loss for those who have it will continue until you die. If you look at actors who have not had hair replacement you can see that the pattern keeps expanding as they age and this has been my 35 year experience as well.

Stop the Hairloss!

+1

It's really impossible to determine when your hair loss may or may not stop.  You may get some clues from your family history and the timing of your own hair loss and whether it's related to any events in your life, medical or otherwise.

But really, I think you're the first 55 yo I've conversed with regarding future hair loss as this is usually an issue for somebody in their 20s and maybe 30s.  Few if any hair loss specialists would caution you at this point in your life.  Actually, we're usually pretty excited when we encounter somebody 55 because your pattern is pretty well determined.  I guess we could also do some microscopic exams and look for miniaturization, but for the most part your more "set" than the majority of men concerned about hair loss. 50 may be the new 40, but I won't push it.  You might consider posting a photo or two and we'll have a better idea of where you are.

I hope that helps

Dr John Frank

Anapelli Hair Clinic