Age 53, 5'6", 140 Lbs..history Incl 2 C Sections, 1 Hyst, 2 Ab Surgeries for Ovary Removals. (photo)

My Tummy is Pretty Much Ruined? The skin folds over itself:( and the last surgeon said post op that my pelvic area was 'wall to wall scar tissue' inside. For my last ovary removal they actually used two surgons bc they said I was 'high risk'. I have pelvic pain which I think is from adhesions and I want a tummy tuck to stop the skin from sticking to itself....how risky is this? Thank you! I want it to keep from getting skin infections and address pain. Can they fix adhesions at the same time they fix the skin?

Age 53, 5'6", 140 Lbs..history Incl 2 C Sections, 1 Hyst, 2 Ab Surgeries for Ovary Removals.

+1

Extraabdominal concerns can probably be addressed like improvement of the look of the skin, etc.  The pain may be due to adhesions, which are intraabdominal, and are not addressed with tummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck and pain from adhesions for previous intraabdominal surgeries

+1

The tummy tuck is an elective surgery. It means you have to be completely healthy before you have your surgery done. You must correct the pain you are having related to adhesions due to previous intra abdominal surgeries. A general surgeon can practice a laparoscopy surgery which have a very fast recover. in about 6 month you are going to be able to have your tummy tuck done with no problem at all.

Yvelise Bello Paredes, MD

Tummy tuck in someone with previous multiple abdominal surgeries

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. An abdominoplasty will give you a very nice result with tight skin and a flat abdomen. Unfortunately, will not correct the internal scarring and adhesions. If you are otherwise healthy, this operation has minimal risks if done by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring. I personally would do some liposuction of the hips and back to give you an improved contour. It is possible that you might need further intraabdominal surgery for the adhesions, and this might not be able to be done laparoscopically. Some surgeons will use the "new abdominoplasty incision, but they might use a vertical, up and down incision. I would not combine an intaabdominal surgery with the tummy tuck. When we work around the bowels to release kinking from adhesions, the bowels can become dilated and not function for a few days. If this happens, will also place extra tension on the abdominal wall repair, can partially interfere with your breathing and you are at a higher risk for postoperative infection. If you have pain from adhesions or partial bowel obstruction secondary to this, you want that addressed first prior to an elective abdominoplasty. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

My Tummy is Pretty Much Ruined?

+1

The internal scarring will not preclude the possibility of having a tummy tuck. This will accomplish tightening of the loose skin, and perhaps some tightening of the abdominal wall, although the latter will depend upon examination and findings at surgery. 

Although I would expect improved appearance, and a end to the rashes where the skin folds on itself, most of your pain is probably related to issues within the abdomen and pelvis, and a TT is unlikely to improve that situation. 

All the best.