At Age 46 I Feel That my Breasts Are Starting to Sag. Implants or a Lift with Accompanying Scars? (photo)

My breasts are 34DDs and measure 17cm. There is slight asymmetry, maybe 50cc. I have always liked the way they look and wondered if implants would keep them up for a while and keep the nipples reasonably high. I like the natural look, where the breasts are bottom heavy. I do Not want to increase the size, I want them to sit where they sat when I was 35 years old. I guess that means my breasts are the same size now, but the profile is easing downwards. LOL

Alignment after lift increase projection

+2

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique uses a circumareola and inframammary incision and avoids the ugly vertical scars of the boat anchor incisions.  This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the need for implants.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle producing long term stability.    

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reshaping of the breasts without augmentation requires a mastopexy and accompanying incisions.

+2

Since you don't want to be any larger clearly you do not want a breast augmentation. A mastopexy with the incisions it entails is another option. Whether the aesthetic trade-off is worth it is a matter of opinion.

Lift rather than implant

+2

A breast lift will serve you well. This can be achieved with little or no loss of your own breast tissue. You will maintain the same volume but acquire are more pleasing shape. As to the scars, they fade in time.

Dr JSK

James Southwell-Keely, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

A lift Would Work Well

+2

Thank you for your pictures.  You have a very nice breast shape.  A lift without implants would improve your breast position but they will get somewhat smaller with the lift.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast lift with or without implants?

+2

Elana,

Thank-you for the high quality photos. What is best for you really depends on what your goals are. If you would like to be lifted, a mastopexy, your will get a lift, be a little smaller and there may be some loss of upper breast fullness. If you would like to maintain this upper pole fullness you would benefit from a proportionate sized breast implant. There is no replacement for an in person examination where your options can be reviewed and your questions more thoroughly answered.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Lifting breast back up to where they used to be requires a lift and (small) implants

+2

First you need a lift.  Implants will not take up the slack and you'll be too large.  Second, you probably should have small implants at the same time as your lift to restore upper pole fullness (implants do this better than your own breast tissue).  This combination is very common in women over 45.  If you have a lift alone, you may be a little dissatisfied with your upper poles, which will not fill out the way they used to do.  I've attached a link to this section of my website so you can read more and look at some examples.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Options for Breast

+2

Your pictures make it a little difficult to assess your breast since your arms are raised in most of them which elevates the breast. If you are happy with your breast volume, I would recommend either doing a breast lift procedure or doing nothing. I don't think that adding an implant is going to lift your breast much, but it will make them larger and heavier and potentially lead to earlier recurrence of sagging. The trade off to a lift is scarring, but this is the only way to make your breast more perky.

Donald Griffin, MD

SAGGING PTOTIC DROOPY BREASTS

+2

Actually I think you look great but if you wish there are some simple and less simple thngs to do.  Simple is an augmentation with periareolar incisions and sub muscular placement.  You will get an implant induced breast augmentation - lift.   This will make breast larger and more perky.  Eventually you will need a lift but that may be 5 years.   The very best lift is the VERTICAL LIFT SHORT SCAR.    This results in a vertical scar and incision around the nipple but none other.   Avoid the unattractive and totally unnecessary anchor lift of ancient times that is unfortunately still being done.  AVOID any version of the Benelli - donut lift which is even more offensive that the anchor lift.   Go simple.  Do a breast aug now and enjoy it for years and then do an uplift.  Better to separate these.   Combination procedures of breast lift and implant simultaneously are associated with a very high incidence of redo  (possibly 80%}.   Be simple, go simple, look fantastic.   My Best  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift vs Breast Augmentation

+2

I would recommend a breast lift.  Since you aren't interested in increasing your size I would discourage you from breast augmentation.  Also, if you were to place an implant in without a breast lift it would typically be like putting a rock in a sock.  Good luck with your research.

Ben Hugo, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts look natural and normal a lift will create scars

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. Your breasts look very normal and pleasing. If you want the nipples higher then you will need a breast lift. Hopefully a periareolar breast lift will be adequate for you as that minimizes the scar.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS