Age 21, 5'8, 30 DDDD. Am I a Good Candidate for a Breast Reduction? Thank You in Advance for Your Help and Advice.

I am 21 years old, 5'8, and 122 pounds with a small frame and size 30DDDD breasts. As you can tell, this is not at all proportional to my body, and it is nearly impossible to find bras with a band of 30 and a cup of DDDD so I usually end up settling for 32DDD. My questions: Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction since I can't really lose any weight and still be healthy? Will insurance pay the full costs? Is the first step a consultation? Any tips for talking to my parents about this?

Breast reduction

+2

Clearly by your height and weight you are not in need of weight loss and it not likely to make a significant change in your breast size even it you did.  With that size breast I would expect you to qualify for a reduction if you have the usual symptoms of back and or neck pain, shoulder strap grooving or skin rashes under your breasts.  A consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be your next step. 

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

It is impossible to give you advice without seeing photos.  30DDDD cup size means a lot of different things to different people.  You should consulta plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure and he or she can help you through the pre authorization process with your insurance company.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description of body type and breast size/symptoms, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Unfortunately,  online consultants will not be able to definitively state whether  any specific insurance will cover your  procedure. You will need to check with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work and learn about the potential risk/complications associated with breast reduction surgery as well.

When dealing with health insurance companies, there will be some some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.  Prepare to be persistent.

Hopefully, communication with your parents will be a easier matter. I would suggest an open/honest communication of the physical and/or psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts have caused you.  Let them know that you have been researching breast reduction surgery, pros/cons of the procedure, and timing of the procedure as well.

Breast Reduction For 30DDDD Breasts

+1

It certainly sounds as if you are a very good candidate for a breast reduction if you are in good health.  The procedure would be covered under most insurance policies if you have accompanying symptoms (back pain, etc.), although some policies have exclusions for any breast reduction.  Obtain a consultation with a BC plastic surgeon following which you should be better prepared to discuss with your parents.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction

+1

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction. Most of my patients in their 40's and 50's who have the surgery routinely say they wish they had done it earlier. The only way you can know for sure about insurance coverage is to consult a plastic surgeon for evaluation and then have his office contact the insurance company for authorization.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction

+1

Large breasts can restrict your lifestyle and cause a variety of medical problems. Even drastic weight loss won't result in more than negligible shrinkage. Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier.
I commonly use a minimal incision technique (Le Jour), eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing breast contour and shape that is proportionate to the patient’s body. Your surgeon knows exactly how much tissue he or she is taking out, because it is weighed after removal. The good news is that this procedure can be performed under local anesthesia and twilight sedation instead of general anesthesia, but some doctors still use a general anesthetic. And breast reduction comes with an added bonus: the extracted breast tissue is always sent to the lab and examined by a pathologist for signs of cysts or cancer. Having smaller breasts can take years off your appearance!

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD