Age 16, Back Pain and Low Posture, Breast Reduction?

my name is sophie im barely 16 years old im going to my junior year a the height of 4'11 im fairly petite with one problem, my boobs there a size 32 D and ive never felt so heavy in my bust area in my entire life its ruining my posture and hurting my back and especially ruining my selfesteem, im on medicaid and im not sure if id be able to get a breast reduction because im not from a wealthy family and i dont think my single mom could afford it any answers?

Breast Reduction at age of 16?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing to to your relatively large breasts.It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. Whether or not Medicaid will cover this procedure for you will  require some research on your part.  You may need to start by consults in with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Generally speaking, the best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you are communicating your concerns with your mother; the  more support you have during this trying time, the better.

Breast reduction surgery for 16 year old

+1

It sounds like you are having significant symptoms from your large breasts and this would make breast reduction surgery medically necessary and not a cosmetic procedure. Your insurance may cover this even if it is medicaid. Look for a plastic surgeon in your area who can help you determine if you are a candidate for this surgery and whether your insurance will cover it. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Don't lose hope!

+1

You might qualify for surgery through one of the teaching programs at a university near you.  You would be operated on by the plastic surgery residents under the direction of an attending plastic surgeon.  In some instances I have done just liposuction alone to reduce the volume of the breast in the right patient.  Go with your mom and see what options are available to you.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon