Invisalign Vs Braces at Age 16

I'm 16.Invisalign and Braces Which Is Better For Me?How Long Do I Need to Wear a Retainer After Invisalign Treatment?Which Is Safer Between Invisalign And Braces?Do My Teeth Suit For Invisalign Treatment?

Invisalign vs. braces

+2

It is always difficult to answer this question without seeing the patient in person for an exam.  Several of your incisor teeth are out of line, and Invisalign is pretty good at aligning them.  I notice several other issues which may suggest braces could work better, such as the vertical position of several of your teeth.  The best way to get a good answer to  your question is to visit an orthodontist who is highly experienced at both Invisalign and braces.  That way you'll get information about what you can realistically expect from each treatment.

Seattle Orthodontist

Advantages and Disadvantages of Invisalign vs Conventional Braces

+2

You ask some very good questions. Invisalign works well, even with 16 year olds. Can Invisalign solve all of your problems is a question that only a qualified dentist or orthodontist can answer after an examination in their office. Some of the advantages of Invisalign over conventional braces: comfort, cleansability and invisability. Advantages of convention braces over Invisalign: versatility and cost. Hope this helps...good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Can I be treated with Invisalign?

+2

The major question is how much crowding and protrusion do you have.  Although it is almost always possible to treat crowded mouths without tooth extractions, long term stability and esthetics may require extractions.  It is not really possible by looking just at the teeth to determnine if extractions are required.  If they are then Invisalign is not really the best option....In the long run it is better to do the right treatment, even if it requires braces and extractions.

As to how long you should wear retainers, it doesn't matter how the teeth got straight: Invisalign or braces.  It depends more on the final results and how stable they are....in general, the more expansion (nonextraction) the less stable the final result

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Invisalign could be better

+1

Depending on what we mean when we say better. Invisalign will be more comfortable. Invisalign will look better. It is not better if you don't comply. I am assuming you are not biting all the way down in the picture of your left side. Otherwise, you might be a difficult case.

If no extractions are indicated your treatment should be less than 24 months with braces or Invisalign. It would help to see your profile. Assuming you have a balanced profile the treatment time should be close to the same.

For everyone retainers are for a life time. You wear the retainers just at night, lifetime.

Gilbert H. Snow, DDS
Encino Orthodontist

Correct solution requires dentofacial orthopedics, then either braces or Invisalign will work

+1

Your upper jaw is significantly narrow.  To get an ideal result it will need widening.  This can be accomplished with dentofacial orthopedics (slow palatal expansion with removable appliances).  This should be done first, then either braces or Invisalign will work.  I personally would recommend Invisalign Teen.  This stated scenario would assume your jaw joints are healthy and stable enough to withstand the treatment without going out of alignment.  The stated treatment if followed correctly would result in a full movie star like smile and would eliminate the need for any surgery or tooth extraction.  Good luck to you.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist