What to Do After 1.5 Yrs of Head and Forehead Numbness and Stiffness of Forehead?

I had my lids done for medical reason, had under my eyes done, forehad lift one and a half yrs ago. I still suffer from stiffness between my eyes and my forhead my eyes are always red I use restasis twice a day. Is there anything I can do to make the stiffness go away. I can live with the numbness but not headaches and eyes always hurting and stiffness.?

What to do after 1.5 yrs of head and forehead numbness and stiffness of frehead?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Eye irritation and pain

+1

You should seek medical evaluation for your eye irritation and pain, preferably from an ophthalmologist

Sam Naficy, MD

Numbness and Stiffness of Forehead

+1

The numbness and stiffness should be addressed by your plastic surgeon.   Although the numbness is not likely to improve after 18 months, the tightness may have a solution.

Post blepharoplasty Dry Eye

+1

Post blepharoplasty dry eye is a risk factor that patients need to be aware of. It is unusual, but can happen and is quite uncomfortable when it does. A detailed examination by an Oculoplastic surgeon or an Ophthalmologist would be helpful for your to determine if any additional treatment would be necessary.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Seek Evaluation

+1

May I suggest you seek evaluation by an opthalmologist for post operative dry eye syndrome. You do not want to run the risk of developing a corneal ulcer. Next, consider discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Ask them to explain each of your symptoms. Chances are the physical symptoms you have are a direct result of your surgery‚Äôs- numbness on the top of head from a coronial brow lift because of transection of cutaneous nerves/ stiffness between the eyes- transection of corrugators & procerus muscles at the time of brow lift/ red & dry eyes- consequence of 4 lid bletharoplasty and brow lift with pre-existing dry eye syndrome?? You can confirm these matters by obtaining a copy of your operative report. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon