Aftercare Tattoo Removal with Q Switch? (photo)

I had my first session of tattoo removal yest using the q switch laser & I'm unsure of how to care of it until it heals? It's on the back of my neck which makes it very uncomfy.The treatment itself was excruciating & the rest of the day was awful. I have kept it covered & replaced the dressing once & added some bepathen nappy rash cream. Is it a good idea to keep it covered to avoid irritation from clothing & my hair cos of the area? Is it ok to sleep on my back or will the dressing stick? Help

Tattoo After Care

+1

You should closely follow the guidelines given to you by your provider for after care.  Our patients leave the office with aquapor and gauze dressing over the treatment site.  We typically recommend gentle cleansing with soap and water twice daily followed by reapplication of aquaphor until healed.  

If the treatment was excruciating you may want to try a provider who uses a Zimmer chiller device during the treatment as this greatly decreases the discomfort without the need for any topical anesthetic creams.

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo removal aftercare

+1

I would recommend keeping it covered with a thin film of vaseline or aquaphor and not to use anything other than that. I would avoid tight fitting clothing on the area. You might have some blisters and crusting of your skin as it heals. If the pain worsens, you might want to see your physician's office that did your treatment so they can evaluate you. If the treatment was painful, you can ask them to use numbing medication to dull the pain. Every one of my tattoo removal patients gets numbed because I want them to have as little discomfort as possible. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon