Best Time to Get Loose Skin Surgery After Weight Loss?

Hi, After a Weight Loss of 150 - 200 Lbs Still Having 100 - 125 Lbs. to Go when is It Time to Consider Surgery to Remove Loose Skin?

I am not sure of my starting weight as the scale in the doctors office only went to 400lbs., however based on research, comparing pictures. I have done this weight loss without any surgery, diet & exercise, over a long period of time. Approximently 7 years. The last 1 1/2 years I have been working with a weight management program and it's been helpful. I know it takes a personal consultation to be accurate, so I am just wondering "in general" under these curcimstance what is a common story?

Surgery after weight loss

I usually recommend that patients wait until their weight is stable for at least 6 months.  There is no use in moving ahead with the significant surgery ahead while you are still making strides.  By the way, my sister is a physician and lives in Chico and I will be visiting later this month.  It is such a nice little town.

Timing for surgery after weight loss

Congratulations on losing so much weight- you should be extremely proud of yourself.  Before having your definitive surgery for excess skin, you should be at your goal weight for at least 6 months.  Sometimes, if an extremely large skin apron is causing hygiene problems, an intermediate panniculectomy can be performed.  This is most often not necessary.  Often the first operation patients have is an abdominoplasty, with or without a body lift.  However, when you have your plastic surgery consultation to discuss this, you and your plastic surgeon can establish your priorities.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Surgery After weight loss

I am truly impressed with your accomplishment!  Congratulations.  Surgery after Massive Weight Loss (MWL) is a big undertaking for both you and your surgeon.  In general, the more you weigh the higher the complication rate.  If you have another 100 pounds to go I would hope to see you lose half of that or more before considering surgery.  Ideally it is best to wait until your weight has been stable for 6 months.  Even if it is not "ideal", if it is a weight you can maintain then it may be time to move ahead. Your tissues lost a lot of their elasticity over the years you were heavy.  They will stretch a little after every procedure you have so you don't want to jump the gun either.  Weight stability is the key to long term success.  You have proved your patience and persistence.  Don't forsake them now.  Look hard for the right board certified  plastic surgeon.  Make sure that you choose someone with experience in MWL surgery because in many ways it is different from other body contouring procedures.  Good Luck and Long Life!

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Best Time for Surgery after Weight Loss

Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss!  You should delay any surgery ideally until you have reached your weight goal.  If you plan on significant further weight loss as you do, surgery may need to be performed again if you have it done now.  Therefore, it would be best to wait.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

It is always best to be at or very close to your goal weight before proceeding with skin removal surgery.  I would then wait a few months to make sure your weight remains stable.  I commend you for your dedication to the steady weight loss.  You obviously know that the maintenance that comes out of the complete lifestyle change is the hardest part of the process.  Best of luck!

Paul Fortes, MD

One Option: Start with a smaller procedure to boost motivation and get the rest of the weight off!

Congratulations on your success so far – you’ve obviously made a MAJOR life change to get so much progress…definitely keep up the good work. I’m sure you’ve come to realize that although you’ve managed to lose the weight, there are many side effects of the weight on your body that you cannot improve no matter how hard you try. With another 100 or 50lbs left to go, there obviously will be more changes that occur and more loose skin to deal with, so I would not suggest doing any definitive surgery until you are closer to your goal (in your situation waiting until you were ~25-30lbs from your goal would be reasonable). You may want to think about a little something in the mean time to make getting around & hygiene a little easier. Often times we will start with an abdominal panniculutomy to remove the fold of tissue overhanging at the lower abdomen for just those reasons. You will have to plan on a formal tummy tuck or body lift later, but starting with the panniculutomy now may help you be able to more easily reach our goal in the long run and make those later surgeries easier on you since a large proportion of the tissue will already have been removed. Removal of that extra tissue may also give you a little of that mental boost that is needed to keep up the fight! Best of luck with your continued journey!

Stable weight before considering surgery

Generally speaking, surgical outcome and your safety is drastically improved when patients are at a stable BMI within the normal range. It's fantastic that you've lost so much weight, however you should lose that last 120-125 before considering plastic surgery. Best of luck to you, I know you can do it!

Timing for Body Lift

Once you have reached your goal weight and you are no longer losing weight for 6 months, you can consider body contouring options.  One of the most popular procedures after massive weight loss is a lower body lift.  If you are considering a lower body lift - this procedure (LBL) is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Timing for body lift surgery

Your best result and healthiest recovery will come by performing the procedure once you reach your goal weight.   So I would recommend trying to lose the final 100 pounds, then maintaining this weight for 6 months prior to proceeding with skin removal.
I do think it is beneficial to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in bariatric surgery at this stage to help you develop a plan for your skin excision.   They can take into account your goals and offer a surgical plan to help guide you from beginning to end.

Congratulations on your weight loss and I wish you much success in reaching your longterm goals!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Weight Stabilize before surgery

Great job!! I would wait for 6 months of weight stability before you have surgical procedures. Unfortunately there is no effective non-surgical method.  However, a body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your hips are raised and defined and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. I would do the body lift first, then stage procedures every 4-6 months. Healing time is 2-4 weeks. The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon