How Long to Wear Binder After Tummy Tuck?

After 3 Weeks from Tt and Lipo is It Advantageous to Wear the Binder at Night Especially? I am happy with usual swelling and am wondering when told to wear my binder 6 weeks give or take I have no problem but is it ok to not wear my binders (breast lift too) at night or is this an exceptionally good time to wear them while your body is resting and recuping?

+2

I ask my patients to wear a compression garment for about 6 weeks after tummy tuck or breast lift surgery. It should be worn day and night for the first 4 weeks, and when up and around for the next 2 weeks. Of course it can be worn longer if a patient desires. If you find that swelling seems to recur after you stop wearing the garment then wear it for a few more weeks.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a Binder After a Tummy Tuck

+2

It is my recommendation to my patients that the binder be worn for 6 weeks after surgery. It is usually the recommendation of the companies that design the garments as well. If you look at one of those websites it can tell you a little bit more about them and their benefits. One great resource is Design Veronique.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

How long to wear binder after tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!. The tummy tuck procedure is an excellent method for contouring of your abdomen, often removing the excess skin as well as tightening the abdominal wall. After nearly all surgical procedures, a potential space is created from where the surgical procedure/dissection was performed. This is especially true for the tummy tuck, in where the abdominal flap is raised off of the abdominal wall and then redraped atop the area to contour the abdomen. The procedure alone promotes swelling and inflammation, which typically lasts for 6-12 weeks. This may even last longer if liposuction has been performed in addition. During this time, a few things may be done to allow adherence of the abdominal skin/soft tissue to readhere to the abdominal wall and close that space. Many surgeons use drains to evacuate the expected serous fluid from building up. Stagnant fluid as such may be a nidus for infection as well as does not allow the tissue to adhere back to its normal anatomic position. Drains usually are removed once output is <30cc/day - usually removed within 3-4 weeks on average, sometimes longer. When this occurs, a seroma may develop - which may require aspiration or surgical evacuation to rid this in order to optimize your result.

This is not an uncommon reason for persistent swelling and/or bulging in a certain area of your belly. Of course, thwarting the development of a pseudobursa, or seroma capsule, is always best, to provide the best result as well as avoid any future procedures for this. This may be a troubling consequence and often compromises your overall result. Thus avoiding this complication, in whatever manner, is the objective. "Drainless" tummy tucks are becoming more popular - basically, the overlying tissue is physically sutured to the abdominal wall to close the potential space. In addition, most surgeons typically restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise as well as lifting restrictions of usually <20#, especially the core, for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to continue. Most also often recommend an abdominal compression-type binder or garment, which will serve to provide compression as well as assist to decrease swelling and eliminate the dead-space of the area for at least 6 weeks as well. After the initial binder, many patients like the Spanx garments. Most patients are able to return to most activities within a couple of weeks, provided they adhere to the restrictions.

Overall, this is a procedure with a high satisfaction rate. Discuss the procedure and postoperative instructions/restrictions with your surgeon, as these will vary among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD