Why After 3 Weeks Post-op Are my Breast Starting to Look Very Asymmetrical? Also, is Hardening of the Breast Normal? (photo)

Hi, I recently had a breast reduction and I'm 3 weeks post-op I have many concerns , first of all now after 3 weeks I have been noticing my breast looking very asymmetrical my left breast is much smaller than my right and I'm concerned that there is something wrong. I even have been considering surgery again though its not really something I want to do is there any way I can fix this? Lately I have been noticing my breast hardening more than usual is that something to worry about?

Breast reduction asymmetry

+1

Thanks for the photos. Sometimes there is differential swelling. One may be more swollen than the other.  If you are concerned, you should speak with your surgeon.

Breasts Starting to Look Very Asymmetrical

+1

I am not sure if this photo is taken via mirror, but if anything the left side as I see it may be a bit larger, but they look fairly even in this photo. 

Firm areas could be areas of inadequate blood supply causing scarring in the fat. 

At any rate, by far the best way to figure this out is to see your surgeon. Nobody on line will have the opportunity to do an in person exam as can your surgeon.

Make an appointment to review all of your concerns.

Thanks, best wishes.

May have some fat necrosis/ischemia

+1

Thank you for the photo.  A breast getting smaller and harder with time after a breast reduction may indicate that you have had some breast tissue or fat that did not have as much blood supply as it needed.  This is sometimes called fat necrosis or fat ischemia.  It might get better with time but the volume loss will not likely get better.  Its early and I would wait longer at this time.  Revision surgery is possible to remove additional tissue of the larger side in the future.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD