2 Weeks Post Fat Graft: Should I Be Worried About Uneven Cheeks?

It has been 2 weeks since my cheeks have been fat grafted and I still look like two different people on each side. I have been hiding one side with my hair and people can notice. Will my face ever be symmetrical again? When should I be worried. Also one side has an extra lump on it. Is this a concern?

+2

Physical exam is always the best when an uneveness is present.  However, 2 weeks post op from fat grafting is a very early time to assess any assymetry.  Facial edema (or swelling) is very common after fat grafting and some patients swell more than others.  The swelling can also happen more in one side than the other as it is also not uncommon for facial asymmetry to be present prior to surgery resulting in the need for more fat in one side compared to the other.  Give it some time see your surgeon regularly and the edema should subside over time.

+1

It is too early to rate your results at this point. You may simply have more swelling in one side which will resolve with time. Just be patient as you can always have a touch up procedure.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Uneven cheeks with fat grafting

+1

Having some degree of asymmetry is not uncommon.  You are still early in your postoperative course.  As time progresses he will notice that the swelling will subside.  In addition, a certain amount of fat will naturally be resorbed.  At this point I would take a wait-and-see approach.  Stay in close touch with her plastic surgeon and follow his or her directions.

Fat grafting can cause swelling for several weeks

+1

Swelling is very typical after significant fat grafting, especially if the fat is placed in multiple layers, inclulding the muscle.  The extra lump you have might need to be revised if this is overcorrection, but it might resolve on its own if it is fluid and can even be a hematoma (blood).  Make sure to see your doctor for an evaluation.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/fillers/index.html

Uneven Cheeks after Fat Grafting

+1

Uneven swelling will resolve and symmetry will return as long as the appropriate amount of fat and its placement was injected correctly.

Uneven cheeks after fat grafting.

+1
This is normal for several weeks IF the same amount was injected into both cheeks in a similar fashion.

Uneven face after fat transfer

+1

Without seeing your face it's hard to say if the asymmetry should be a concern. It's not uncommon for one side of the face to have a bit more swelling than the other. This should even out with time.

Check with your surgeon to make sure everything appears in order and that nothing else is going on.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facial-fat-grafting

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.