What Are My Options if My Sides Are Lopsided 1 Week Post-Op Liposuction?

I just had liposuction one week ago. My sides are now totally lopsided and I'm really freaked out. I can't even look at myself right now. I just wanted a little contouring and now I want my old body back. I wasn't fat at all and very active with weights and cardio. Right now I wouldn't wear a bathing suit ever again in my life. I know I have swelling but the asymmetry seems not right. My doctor said it's normal and I will see him Wed for first post op. I'm so freaked out I don't know what to do

Don't panic! There is always a solution!

+2
There is an old saying in the medical profession, "in any emergency, the first step is to take your own pulse." Do not freak, and remember that your body is quite swollen and will change significantly in the weeks to come. Also, a few more points you may not have considered: -the thinner you are, the more the swelling distorts your body contours. -everyone has a natural asymmetry that only seems to be evident to patients after their surgery. Preoperative photos are a great way to see your body structure prior to surgery. Lastly, if you indeed have a complication or an unsatisfactory outcome, please work with your surgeon - any surgery is a partnership that relies on your ability to communicate with each other to achieve a mutually satisfactory outcome. Everyone is different, so every surgery and factors surrounding it are unique. As a result, outcomes are hard to predict with absolute certainty and complications do occur (remember the consent form?). The key point is that working together, you can ultimately achieve a happy ending! Best Regards, KC

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

A Little to early

+2

Photos would be very helpful.   One week after liposuction is really to early to say.  You have a significant amount of swelling present for sure and it may not be even swelling at this time.  Be patient for 4 to 6 weeks eventhough it is difficult.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+2

Much too early to tell if you have a real issue or if you have asymmetric swelling. Best to allow at least 3 weeks of healing time before "freaking out" completely. 

Concerned about asymmetry 1 week following liposuction

+2

You are still so early in the healing and inflammation process that to make judgements regarding asymmetry would be premature. Simple issues like sleeping positions and compression garment effects can play a role. It will take at least 4 - 6 months to have a much better idea of your situation though full resolution of swelling can take up to 1 year.

When you see your doctor, share your concerns and anxieties. Be patient, though!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Lopsided after Lipo

+2

At one week you are significantly swollen from a liposuction procedure. Patience should solve most of your concerns. Stay in close contact with your surgeon, continue to wear your compressive garment and make sure that you aren't favoring one side when you sleep.  Gravity can have an impact on where the swelling settles as well.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Asymmetry after liposuction

+2

It is not at all unusual to have asymmetric swelling after liposuction.  As with any surgical procedure, there is associated swelling because of the trauma.  In the case of liposuction, swelling is more pronounced because of the large volume of tumescent solution injected before the procedure.  The asymmetry is usually more noticeable in the mornings because we tend to sleep on our side.  The dependent side swells more because of gravity.

In a few weeks, the asymmetry becomes less as the swelling from surgery goes away.  Hang in there!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Lopsided after liposuction?

+2

My advice is to wait and not stress out  - swelling can be significant and asymmetric after liposuction and will take weeks-months to resolve.  

Michelle Spring, MD

Liposuction Results?

+1

It is much too early to evaluate the end results of your surgery. Swelling is part of the healing process.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results.  If you are still concerned about point address these concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes.

Liposuction early post-op

+1

Without photos, it is hard to say, but I will say that one week post-op is too early to say anything. Everyone in general has asymmetry and it will be the same after surgery in most cases.  You just may not have noticed it before.