After Undergoing Nasal Reconstruction Surgery a Year Ago, is It Okay to Get Your Nose Pierced?

Nose Piercing--Good or Bad?

+1

Most nose piercings that I have seen go through the sides of the nose we call the alae (which comes from the Latin word meaning "wing.") This also is the same area where in most people there is cartilage beneath the skin that gives the sides of the nose shape and support. Regular piercings, like through the ear lobe, are usually safe if done properly, but when you go through cartilage an infection can ensue which can destroy the cartilage and change the nose shape. In some nose surgeries additional cartilage grafts are placed, so it would be best to check with your surgeon to get his/her opinion first before proceeding.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Palm beach rhinoplasty

+1

i strongly advise that you go back and see the doctor who did your nose surgery prior to get his approval prior having your nose pierced. If the piercing goes through any structures that were previously reconstructed, you could run into problem.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Safety of Piercing a Reconstructed Nose

+1

Re "After Undergoing Nasal Reconstruction Surgery a Year Ago, is It Okay to Get Your Nose Pierced?"

I am not a big fan of body piercing and even less of a fan when it comes to potentially destroying a body part by so doing. Depending how extensive of of a nose reconstruction you had and through which structures the piercing will travel the damage may be minimal to potentially devastating. Personally, I would advise you not to do it. Infection, unpredictable scar tissue, loss of support among others can transform an acceptable reconstruction to a disaster.

Dr. Peter A Aldea