5 Years Post Tummy Tuck and I Still Have a Bulge

I had a tummy tuck approx 5 years ago, and it went well, though I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is normal. Post surgery and still today, I have a flat belly button and when I do sit ups I have a bulge going down the middle of my core area. Its as if my muscles aren't sewn together right or something-no matter how many sit ups I do, I cannot get definition. Is this normal?

Sit-ups won't be enough

+1

Either your muscles were not plicated (sutured together) or the sutures may have come undone (unlikely).  A bulge down your midline indicates a separation of the muscles.  Only surgery will correct this.  Ask your original surgeon if he plicated your muscles or see another board certified surgeon for an axamination and recommendations.

A consultation is necessary.

+1

An exam is the only way to determine of you need a revision or not on your tummy tuck.  This can be a sign of a muscle seperation. 

Muscle Laxity after Tummy Tuck

+1

It sounds as though either you did not have a muscle plication during your initial surgery or the repair loosened after your previous tummy tuck.   Unfortunately, the only way to correct this is revision surgery with muscle plications sutures to tighten the bulge centrally.  This would give you the best contour and shape.  I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Bulge after tummy tuck

+1

From what you describe it appears there is a space between the muscles ( known as diastasis) which is still present.  You are not going to make that any better by doing more sit ups.  It may be that the diastasis was not repaired or perhaps the sutures have ruptured.  Unfortunately the diastasis will not get any better without a surgical repair.

Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Sounds like your muscles may be separated

+1

I reccomend you see your surgeon and be examined.  It is not normal to bulge when you do a sit up and you may have recurrent laxity of your abdominal wall.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck and muscles

+1

A bulge in the midline after a tummy tuck five years down the road may very well be a weakness of the muscles.  An exam would be helpful.