After a Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair when Can I Start Weight Training Again?

Exercise after Tummy tuck

+1

When the muscle has been repaired, the strength of the repair will be between 1/3 and 1/2 of the eventual strength at 6 weeks, based on wound healing studies. I generally suggest 8-10 weeks before doing situps or Pilates to err on the side of caution, but standard cardio or light weights can be started within 2 weeks.

+1

Usually between 6-8 weeks but it depends how vigorous the workout is.  Make sure to ask your surgeon to make sure nothing else was discovered during the muscle repair such as a hernia.

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Exercise After A Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Independence7801,  The most important person to ask this question to is your plastic surgeon who knows both the type of tummy tuck procedure performed and the quality of your tissues.  In general, most of our patients are able to return to unrestricted exercise at 6 weeks after their surgery but some patients do require more time than others and so their recovery programs are adjusted as needed.  Please be careful and do not "push" yourself too hard.  By allowing your body to recover, you will actually be able to get back into your full routine quicker and with less pain and discomfort.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Weight Training After Tummy Tuck

+1

The only answer to this question, it to discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.  He is the only one who knows exactly what was done.  Take care of yourself!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight Training After Tummy Tuck

+1

I usually don't like to say "ask your plastic surgeon" but in this case I'll have to defer to them.  For my patients I don't mind them doing cardio as soon as their bodies tell them.  Most patients don't like doing much until the last drain has been removed.  As for weight training it's important to realize that strain on the abdominal muscle must be carefully managed.  So I'll let patients do light weights within a week or two but only as long as there is no pain.  

Listen to your body.  If you experience even a slight amount of pain then stop.  Return to your workout gradually.  It's not worth damaging the results.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Weight Training after Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.   Each patients recovers differently, but I typically find that 90% of patients are fine resuming their exercise routine at 6 weeks.

Of course, we want you to listen to your body and not push too hard too early.   Please take time to view my recovery from tummy tuck video for more information.   I wish you a safe recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

A question best addressed to your own surgeon, who knows what was done and who has followed your recovery. By 6 weeks the sutured areas will have attained 90% of their ultimate healing strength, and most surgeons allow return to full activity at that time. 

However for body building, weight lifting, many urge holding off for a longer period of time. 

All the best.