How Soon After Tummy Tuck Can I Have Laser Hair Removal Near the Scar?

I am 8 months post op from a full tummy tuck. My pubic line was changed with the procedure and my scar is a w shape. I'm wanting to get laser hair removal to create a nicer bikini line. To accomplish this they will have to go over/or very near my TT scar. Is there any harm in this? Its the GentleMax laser laser that is being used. Ive heard this is a similar laser thats used to lighten other scars. Would I possibly see a increase lightening in my scar with laser hair removal?

As soon as the wound is healed and scabs are gone usually about 2 weeks

+1
As long as the scar is healed you can do the laser hair removal.
The hair removal laser won’t change the appearance of the scar, it will only destroy the hair. It may take about 6 treatments for the best results, but you should see a nice reduction since the hair on that area is dark and thick and responds very quickly. If you are looking to lighten the scar once the hair is removed you can try Fraxel laser or IPL for the pigment.

Laser Hair Removal

+1

When the scar is healed, usually at 4-6 months.  The scar will be fully healed at about a year, but you can treat the hair sooner.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon