How Soon After a Tummy Tuck Can a Breast Lift Be Done?

My sister is having a tummy tuck and lipo to the waist and abdomen. 1 week after that she will then have a breast lift and lipo to the back. Is this safe? Her PS explains that as she has to get a lot of lipo then it will be safer to do the 2 surgeries separate. Thank You for your answers.

Tummy tuck with liposuction followed by breast lift and back liposuction one week later

+1

Thank you for your question. I think the reason surgery is being separated is because there is a limit to how much liposuction can be performed in the state of Florida when it is combined with other surgeries.

I usually separate cosmetic surgical sessions by a minimum of six weeks, sometimes 3 months.  I have no data that suggests waiting a week is unsafe. It is just nice to give people some time to recover and wait for the bruising and swelling to go down.  That way, if any refinement needs to be done on the first surgery, it can be easily done at the second surgery.

It is a judgment call on the part of her surgeon. I hope this helps.

Dividing surgery in two

+1

I do not know the laws in Florida, but as outlines below, that is why it is being done that way. In NY, if the procedures are not too extensive and felt to be appropriate to be done in a single setting then it is certainly possible. If in my practice, I feel that combining them is too much, then the best thing to do would be to wait about 3 months between surgeries.

Combining Tummy Tuck with Breast Enhancement

+1

Hi there-

If your sister requires a significant amount of liposuction to achieve her goals, for the reason outlined by Dr. Schuster, in Florida separating the procedures would be necessary.

My only concerns with doing liposuction on her back so soon after her tummy tuck are that to do so would require positioning her on her abdomen- which will probably be painful and might stretch or tear the stitches in her abdominal muscles, and that the liposuction in this area might compromise the blood supply necessary for healing of the tummy tuck.

Having said all of that, only her surgeon knows the techniques planned and what has been effective and safe in his practice in the past... Provided your sister is in the hands of an experienced surgeon who is Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, she should be in good hands.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Safe way to operate

+1

There are many ways to operate and each surgeon has his/her own preference.  In FLorida you can only remove 1000 cc of fat when you are doing other surgery at the same time.  I would probably do the lipo and breast lift first, especially if I have to turn the patient on to the back.  I would then do the tummy tuck 1-2 weeks later.  The other option is to do alot of lipo in one sitting all over, and then 3 months later do the lift and tummy tuck.  The lipo will keep her out of work maybe a day or two, while the TT will probably keep her down at least 2 weeks.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon