Options for Improving Belly Button Appearance After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck and some lipo work done in March of 07. Before the surgery I could see my belly button. Presently, my belly button looks like puckered lips, and I am unable to see it. I would like to know if that will change over time? I would also like to know if there is anything that I could do about the appearance of my belly button?

I am happy with the results of the surgery but expected my belly button to look better. I really do not like it. It looks like I had something done.

Belly Button Improvement

+2

Thanks for your question -

After one year you are probably have the final look of your belly button.

It depends somewhat on how much of your original belly-button remains but in most cases a revision can be performed under local anesthesia to improve the appearance.

Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon.

Modified "Marble" trick for funky umbo

+1

There may be many reasons for the funny and puckered appearance of the belly button or umbilicus.  If approved by your surgeon, I would suggest using a silicone cream/ointment (if not infected) combined with a sunscreen/block. Glass marbles have been used to stent open a closed umbilicus and reduce swelling. Glass marbles can be found at a craft's store. Occasionally I prefer glass beads because a small string can be placed which makes them easier to retrieve or remove once in place. Sterilize or cleanse the bead before each and every placement.

Creating a Sexy Belly Button

+1

When a Plastic surgeon examines another colleagues' Tummy Tuck one of the items that screams excellence, defines attention to detail and  mastery of the operation is the appearance of the belly button.

We all know what a belly button should NOT look like. It should not look like a vertical slit, nor like a narrow or pinhole golf tee which cannot be seen from the side.  And it should not look like "puckered lips".

A Sexy belly button should be an "innie", which is located center or just off center of a shallow bird-bath like depression in the tummy skin which can be seen from the side. The belly button opening should be round and funnel like but not too large where it would resemble an open bodily orifice. Ideally, the upper rim of the belly button (10 o'clock to 2 o'clock) should hood and cast a minor shadow on the depth of the orifice. And, yes, it should located in the midline (even though in many women it is off midline) and at a specific height in relation to the hip bones and the clitoris (not too high or too low).

At over 3 years after your Tummy Tuck, your result is final. however, all is not lost. While a wide-open misplaced belly button is much harder to repair, a narrow slit of a belly button in the proper location CAN be redone with an UMBILICOPLASTY procedure.

Good Luck!

Dr. P. Aldea

Improving the belly button if you're after a tummy tuck

+1

Patients who have had a tummy tuck and wish to improve the appearance of the belly button have many different options. It is possible to read you the tummy tuck if you have enough looseness in your lower abdominal skin. This will allow your surgeon to re-create a brand-new bellybutton. If you do not have enough laxity, the belly button maybe we contour with an umbilicoplasty. During this procedure, the skin around your belly button may be redraped to provide a more pleasing appearance.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Belly button and tummy tuck

+1

If you had an abdominoplasty in 2007 and your belly button is not satisfactory, you may want to consider a revision of the umbilicus. Sometimes this is a very simple straight forward procedure that can be very satisfying.

Revise Belly Button

+1

Occasionally, the belly button requires a minor revision. this can be done in the office with local anesthesia and little or no down time. Talk to your doctor, he will probably be happy to take care of this for you.

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon