How Soon After Tummy Tuck Can I Begin to Use 3M Microlpore Tape?

I am 15 days Post-op Tummy Tuck no muscle repair. My PS said I should wait 6 weeks until I can start using Micropore tape or silicone sheets, but I feel like I should start using the tape sooner. He has advised me to apply WoundBeGone 1 week after TT. I want to start working out again. He has given me the ok to do so, but I would feel a lot better with some tape on my incision. Any advise would be much appreciated. Lastly, has anyone tried 3M Kind Removal Silicone Tape?

How Soon After Tummy Tuck Can I Begin to Use 3M Micropore Tape?

+3

It would take a lot for me to "overrule" the advice of your surgeon, and there isn't anything pressing that would lead me to alter his recommendation. The fact that there are so many care protocols suggests that there is little reason to suspect one is superior to another. If there were, we would all do everything the same way.

Thanks and best wishes.

What to Use for Scars after Tummy Tuck

+2

Your best allies for the best scar are good genetics and time.   Almost any of those items are fine or are, at least, not harmful.

Silicoe Sheeting Very Effective & Safe For Scar Management

+2

Once your incision has fully healed at the surface, it is safe to apply scar management treatments.   This typically takes 1-3 weeks for a large incision. Silicone sheeting/belts are soft, non-adherent, moist and clinically proven to improve scars.  Tape may injure the fragile skin.  It is also reasonable to start at 6 weeks.  One week vs 6 weeks will not make a significant difference in the endpoint.  Try not to worry too much.  Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Medpore tape after abodominaoplasty

+2

some surgeons put it on immediately following surgery instead of steristrips.  so the answer is right away.  i use steri strips then silicone.  but studies show medpore is excellent too.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Scar management is different with every plastic surgeon

+2

Every plastic surgeon has their own strategy for scar management.  You trusted your plastic surgeon to perform your procedure so you should trust his ability and skill to guide you to a great result.  I personally like to keep the incisions taped with a paper tape for the first 3 - 4 weeks as this has been shown to decrease the early tension on the incision and improve the final result.  Silicone sheeting can be used after this time or a product like Scar Guard which is a silicone type liquid that is applied to the scar with a small brush, this is used at night from the end of the 3rd week to the end of the 3rd month and includes massaging of the scar once or twice a day. 

Micropore taping for scars after tummy tuck

+2

There are very many scar managment programs available and silicone sheeting has the most scientific evidence in support. Micropore taping is a hit or miss in our experience, and if there is any swelling in the skin you can get traction blisters from the tape, and some will develop a sensitivity to the adhesive and a skin rash. The six weeks wait seems like a good suggestion, and the silicone products might be a better alternative. 

I am a huge fan of 3M Micropore Tape for scar management

+2

Generally speaking it's important to follow your plastic surgeons recommendations.  However, in my practice, as soon as the wound is sealed together, which is about two weeks after surgery, I have my patients begin using the micropore tape.  I have them apply it, wear it continuously, and reapply it as he ends turnup and begins to peel off.  I recommend 2 - 3 months.  About 1 in 7 patients develops a rash to the adhesive and must use another strategy.

While there are many scar management strategies, there is exellent scientific evidence to show that "scar taping" signigicantly improves scar appearance.

while there are many scar management strategies  management strategies While there are many scar

George H. Landis, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Wait until after the scar has healed externaly

+1

Before you start treating the scar you must wait until the scar closes externaly. Good genetics and results might vary from person to person so its a good ideak to keep track and report if something seems out of the orthinary.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

When can I start using micropore tape on my incisions?

+1

In my practice, I use micropore paper tape on all incision lines after surgery and continue using the paper tape for six weeks. The patient is given two roles of this breathable paper tape and is taught how to clean the wound and change the tape every other day.  In a recent paper that compare taping of wounds to other scar treatments and to no scar treatment, the paper tape was shown to be as effective as scar gels and creams, and also helps with quicker fading of the scar color. 

It is best to listen to the advice of your own surgeon, but if you feel like you want to start doing this anyway, know that it is safe and effective. Good luck and thanks for the question.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tape

+1

I find that there are more problems with blistering and allergies from the tape and the benefits are limited. Massage or the passage of time is a good option also

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS