After Having the Mohs Surgery on my Nose the Skin Did Not Take, What Are my Options to Repair the Hole in my Nose? (photo)

I had the surgery 3 weeks ago and the skin graft is not taking. What will happen to the skin graft and what can I have done to repair my nose? What are the time lines for this?

Skin graft not taking after Mohs surgery

+1

I think your best option is to go back to the doctor who performed the surgery and discuss future plans with him or her.  Even if the graft does not take it serves as a tissue coverage and will promote healing under a moist emvironment (wound covered with vaseline and band aid.)

New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for Repair if Skin Graft Does Not Take

+1

Your best option is to discuss the situation with the doctor who performed the reconstruction. Even if the graft does not take 100%, the area may still heal well. It really takes 6-12 months to get the final cosmetic result following surgery. The doctor can examine the area and determine if anything further needs to be done or how best to care for the site. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Mohs

+1

Your options are to let it heal on its own or redo the graft or do a local flap. All may be good options and you should speak to your plastic surgeon about which one fits your goals best

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Skin graft after Mohs procedure isn't taking

+1

Have you consulted the physician who performed your procedure???? This is 100% necessary at this moment. Your physician can help guide you to the best choices depending on what she/he sees as options. Please contact your treating physician immediately.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mohs surgery on nose and repairing the hole

+1

It is difficult to say without seeing it in person, but I would not say that the skin graft did not take. It may look very different than the surrounding skin but at 3 weeks out it is too early to make a judgement about the long term appearance. It sometimes takes a few months for things to even out. It would be best to follow up with your Mohs surgeon to have him/her evaluate the graft and you can have a discussion about options but it might be best to wait at this point. If the graft did not take, there are other options to consider, from letting it heal up on its own, to considering another graft or flap. I would make sure your Mohs surgeon is part of the American College of Mohs surgery (not society) as it is required to have completed formal fellowship training in Mohs and Reconstructive surgery to be part of the Mohs college. Mohs college members perform more reconstructive surgery for skin cancer on the face than any other specialty.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon