Nose shape with taping (massage) after rhinoplasty, which shape will I see?

2 months ago my nose was thinned.I have thick skin.After surgery my doctor give me massages, But i see that when i forget tapping my nose, nose gets bigger and bigger, looks like its old shape.But on the other hand when i massage regularly it is getting really thin. Also i know i need to wait about 10-12 month to see final result cuz ive really thick skin. But i wonder at the end of the everything, will my nose looks as same as the shape like after i massage at the moment? Thanks for answers. :-)

Taping after surgery

+2
You will see ups and downs with nasal swelling for over a year after surgery whether you tape or not.  Time is the only thing that will allow the swelling to resolve.  Donald R. Nunn  MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

+2
Thank you for your question. After a rhinoplasty it can take several months for the swelling to subside and you may not realize the final shape of your nose for up to 12 months. It is too soon in your convalescence to determine the final shape of your nose. Give the swelling time to evolve. I recommend that you follow the post-operative instructions that you were given by your plastic surgeon.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and after rhinoplasty...

+2
Your concerns are valid but as all surgeons who do rhinoplasty would assure you, the truly may take 12-14 months or more depending in the extent of surgery, type of incision used and the patients anatomy (such as thick skin). I usually advise my patients with thick skin that more may need to be done so that surgical correction will show through the thickness of their skin. I would revisit your surgeon and have discussion again. Taping will help splint the lymphatic system till it can return to your presurgical state. This will take time. 

Bahair Ghazi, MD

+2

It is too early to make a determination about the final result.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Nose Massage

+2
Massaging the nose temporarily helps to eliminate swelling by aiding the lymphatic drainage of the nose.
Putting tape on the nose compresses the nose and prevents swelling in the area. With thick skin and persistent swelling, you may be a candidate for steroid injections into the nasal tip. Consult with your surgeon.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon