What Can I Do When Nasal Cavity Collapses After Reconstructive Nasal Surgeries?

I've had two reconstructive nasal surgeries in one year to correct a deviated septum, prolapsed valves and widen nasal canals; they also levelled my dorsal hump. The first surgery they used grafts from my own septum, but the grafts didn't take and within a year they had dissolved and my cavities collapsed. They decided to use donor grafts for the second surgery due to my age. Now these grafts have collapsed as well. What can be done for me now? Breathing through my nose is worse than before!

Nasal collapse after septo-rhinoplasty

+1

It's hard to give you much detail without seeing your nose or know what exactly was done during your prior surgeries. It's quite unusual for a patient's own septal cartilage to dissolve, unless there was an infection after surgery.

Another alternative to use your own cartilage is to harvest it from your ear (conchal bowl) or rib. Rib cartilage calcifies with time so it may not be an option depending on your age.

You should consult with an expert rhinoplasty surgeon that has a lot of experience with correcting functional nasal breathing issues in addition to cosmetic work. A full evaluation of your nose would allow you to get a better idea of what else could be done.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty