How Soon After Submental Lipo to Begin Scar Massage?

Two weeks post-surgery, stitches out, I've started gently massaging from midline out towards the mandibular angle. I can feel bilateral thickening under both sides of the jaw with a pronounced lump both deep to and posterior to the incision site. I've avoided massaging the central lumpy area out of concern for disrupting healing of the incision. I'm also not using any pressure in any of my massaging. When should I increase the pressure? When should I start to work on the central lumpy area? tia!

Two weeks after liposuction is generally ok to massage

+2

Two weeks after liposuction is generally ok to massage the area but I would discuss this with your surgeon before taking this upon yourself. Manual lymphatic drainage is an excellent technique

Submental Lipo massage- two weeks often a pivotal point

+2

We recommend wearing a compressive garment for the first two weeks, then gentle massage. It is natural to feel irregularities in the early phases, as the tissue does not heal all over at a uniform rate.

The best thing you can do is check with your surgeon if you have any doubts as to the healing or the massage, as he or she is in the best position to be able to advise you.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after liposuction

+1

I would recommend that you start more aggressive massage of your chin liposuction area now.  The firm tissue is more easy to manipulate now while it is not as mature.  Visit with your plastic surgeon as to the type of massage technique he or she wants you to use.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Neck Liposuction recovery

+1
workinprogress,
Neck liposuction can produce dramatic results.  One of the key components of the surgery, in my opinion, is the ability of the loose skin to heal the overlying floor of the mouth.  In order for this to happen, I ask that my patients wear a support garment for two weeks and do not massage the area aggressively for 4 weeks.  They may start some very mild massage that is not shearing, however, after 2 weeks.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Massage after neck liposuction

+1
Ask your surgeon based on how they did your surgery, if there is a risk of doing massage on your neck after liposuction. You might cause delayed bruising and exacerbate swelling burt it could also help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Neck massage after liposuction.

+1

You should check with your surgeon to see if he agrees with how and why you are doing neck massage. Ultrasound will often help our patients with abnormal swelling heal faster.