After Smart Lipo - Do I Workout with Garment on or Off?

its been 5 weeks since lipo and im gonna start working out ans tanning, should i keep the garment on while i work out or no? or does it matter?

Post-smartlipo compression guarment

+1

In my preactice, I recommend the use of true first stage compression guarment only for the first 7-10 days, 23hrs/day  to limit third spacing of fluif into the newly created liposuction cavity or channels. Compression more than 28mmHG beyind 10 days may infact compromise the recovering lymphatics which are designed to remove the extravascular tissue fluid and return it to the vascular circulation which is ultimately excreted by the kidneys if in excess. I recommend a support guarment such as a second stage guarment, Spanx, or commercial atheletic compression shirts (Nike, Underarmour, etc) for the following 6-8 weeks round the clock. This is to support the skin in place as the treated area fluctuates in swelling and the skin proximity to the desired reattachment area thus fluctuates and the skin may heal in a sagging position if not supported. Also, a support guarment does not assure smooth skin texture after liposuction as skin contraction and smooth texture are not synonymous. You need good skin care and massaging two improve the skin texture after liposuction and especially good posture.

Lastly, I recommend to my patients that after the first 2 months post-liposuction, they wear a support guarment anytime they engage in a high impact activity. Your skin has its own weight similar to breast tissue and moves separately from the body and it sustaings high shearing forced with up and down movement such as jumping or running. Over time, if the tissue is not supported, it will tear and sagg.  Long-term appearance of skin texture will improve if supported and not sagging. I recommend that my patients make support or compression shirts/guarments a routine part of their lives.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction garment

+1

different surgeons recommend different durations of wearing compression garments after liposuction. I recommend to my patients that they wear it for the whole day (except during showering) but by the fifth and sixth week they can wear it for 12 hours per day. I do not insist on wearing the garment during workouts at that time.  This is my protocol, but you should definitely follow YOUR surgeon's advice as every surgery is different and there may be certain indications for you that are unique to your surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Exercise following Smartlipo & garment use varies from doctor to doctor

+1

The advise given is sage advise.   The doctor who does the surgery is ultimately responsible for the result, therefore I recommend you ask your doctor.  In general, most scarring is well set between 4 & 6 weeks, so most doctors allow exercise at some point between these weeks post procedure in order to minimize the risk of bleeding in the treated areas.  The use of the garment is variable as well. I encourage 3 weeks continuously-6 weeks - 3 months as much as possible. The garment helps to provide even contraction and reduce swelling.  For some people they find that the swelling will resolve quicker than others.  One of the ways to determine if the garment is still providing benefit is to determine if swelling forms with the removal of the garment.  If not, the use of the garment may not be as critical.  Whether you choose to use the garment with exercise beyond the recommendations of your doctor is really your choice, do what ever feels better.  Good luck!

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and garment

+1

You should discuss with yoru doctor how long he/she wants you to wear a garment after liposuction surgery. I prefer 3-6 weeks myself.

+1

Best to ask your chosen surgeon. I allow removal but that is my protocol. Please address this with your surgeon. From MIAMI