After Septoplasty Surgery Can the Nasal Splints Be Left in Permanently?

Army performed septoplasty surgery in 1985. I can breathe fine, but cannot blow my nose very well. When I use twizzers to clean out my nose, I seem to catch on something hard in both nostrils and it can bleed pretty bad. It sounds like hard plastic and not bone. The only thing I can think it is, are the splints.

Permanent nasal splints

+1

While it's not typical to leave nasal splints in the nose permanently, it sounds like something isn't quite right with your nose. A thorough examination with an otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose Throat) should help you figure out what exactly is going on.

Not likely but possible

+1

It would be unlikely that splints have been left in for 25 years. At any rate it sounds like you are having a problem, you might want to have an Otolaryngologist look in your nose to see what is causing your complaints.

Hope this was helpful. 

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, the splints would eventually erode into the septal mucosa causing an infection and possible septal perforation.