After Septoplasty, the Incision Opened Up when the Stitches Dissolved. Should I Worry?

I had sinus surgery and septoplasty six days ago. I have been doing nasal rinses. Today I noticed that the sightless had dissolved on their own but Maas also horrified to see that the incision was wide open. My surgeon doesn't seem concerned, but it doesn't sound normal to me.

Incision opening after Septoplasty

+1
The incision in the nose is closed with an absorbable suture and they may absorb before the incision is completely healed. It is best to go in and see your surgeon as soon as possible for a full examination and see if he/she feels the incision has opened up to far to heal on it's own. You also need to be evaluated for any possible risk of infection through the opened incision. Best regards!

Stitches from Septoplasty opened up 6 days post op, what should I do?

+1

You should contact the surgeon that did your Septoplasty and tell him/her what you were doing and what you saw.  You will most likely have to go to the surgeon's office for an examination of the inside of the nose unless the surgeon anticipated and is OK with the stitches dissolving early...which by itself is not an issue however, if the incision opened up, that is another issue.

Incision Opening After Septoplasty

+1

The incision inside of the nose during septoplasty is usually closed with an absorbable stitch.  Like any absorbable stitch, the possibility exists that they will dissolve before the incision has completely healed. Your main risk is that bacteria get into the incision and cause an infection.  I generally will use one of the over-the-counter topicals such as bacitracin or neosporin.  The key is to be generous, about 1 inch into each nostril.  Normally this takes about 7-10 days to heal itself.  DO NOT pick the nose during this healing process.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon