After Rhinoplasty, Nostrils Appear to Spread Across Face when Smiling - Alar Base Reduction Help?

I had a septorhinoplasty for a crooked nose and to reduce the width of bridge and tip. While I'm OK with how I look in repose, I dislike my nose when I smile. While I always had (v. asymmetric, by the way) nostrils that spread wide, somehow the shape of my old nose hid this. Now, with a smaller less defined tip, i have this big fat blob that lies flat and wide when smiling. Can something that can be done? Alar reduction? Is this tough? I just want an improvement, not pinched nostrils.

Alar Base Reduction May Be Helpful- See Your Surgeon

+1

It's hard to say for sure without photos, but it does sound like alar base reductions would be helpful. Importantly, they can be done using only a local anaesthetic in the office. I recommend you return to your surgeon and let him or her know your concerns. They should be able to help with this. Good luck. 

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broad nostrils and rhinoplasty

+1

Dear JellyZ,

-There can be some something done, and it depends on what the nose looks like

-Alar reductions are not tough, they can be done under local anesthetic in the office

-A consultation would be able to tell you whether more more would need to be done

-You can try bringing your nostrils in and smiling to test out what a reduction would look like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD