After Rhinoplasty, How Many Days After Removing the Cast/Splints Should I Do These Things?

Hello, I'm 5 days post-op and I have some questions:How many weeks/days after REMOVING THE CAST/SPLINTS (which means a week post-op) should I: Touch the nose if it's itchy? Drink alcohol/coffee? Get rid of the black heads on my nose and around the face? Stop sleeping in the elevated position? Lay down on my stomach and have a back massage? Start brisk walking/running? Chew gum? Not worry about the facial expressions? Will there be wrinkles/scar tissues after the face is done swelling?

Post Rhinoplasty Instructions

+1

Dear Elly DeIThese questions should have all been reviewed with you during your preoperative appointment. I spend at least an hour with my patients at their preoperative appointment and go through all of their pre and post operative care instructions. With that said, I will answer them for how I treat my patients however each surgeons office may vary and you should confirm these questions with your surgeon. You can touch the nose if it itches right after splint removal just do not apply pressure to the nose. Depending on my patients coffee intake I allow them to drink caffeine to avoid headaches from caffeine withdrawal. I ask them to limit this as much as possible for the first few weeks post surgery. Alcohol should be avoided while on post operative medications and after that may be resumed in small amounts. As far as blackheads on the nose speak with your surgeon I personally have an aesthetician in my office who helps with the post operative skin care. I would keep laying in an elevated position for quite sometime if you are comfortable as it will help reduce postoperative swelling. I would not lay on your stomach for back massage for several months. If you want to have a massage have the masseuse do that from a position while laying on your back. You may return to brisk walking at three weeks post surgery and I would avoid running until cleared by your surgeon. The facial expressions will come back as the swelling dissipates and you can do what is comfortable. You will not have wrinkles from the swelling. I hope this is helpful and again review these with your surgeon since he/she is familiar with your exact procedure and will advise you properly. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.