Sex After a Rhinoplasty?

I had sex 3 days post op , gently and short . I was not pushed ,bumped , thrusted. I feel fine and my heart rate didn't get higher. Will this affect my results?

Sex After Rhinoplasty

+4

Hi Emma, (or is it Annastasia?)

We certainly do not encourage patients to have sex for at least 10 to 14 days after rhinoplasty, and usually the bruising, swelling, tape, and splint serve as a form of birth control (only the horniest of men/women get beyond the 3 day post op appearance).

We tell our patients that they may have oral sex, that is they may talk about sex only for 10-14 days. 

Your gentle, short, non-thrusting, normal heart rate sex should not affect your rhinoplasty results.  But it has likely stimulated the imagination of thousands of RealSelf users.  Please refrain from reading anymore "Fifty Shades of Grey" until you have healed.  Tell Christian hello for us.

Enjoy your new nose, and your interesting sex life.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Sex After Rhino?#nosejob

+3

I had my Rhinoplasty in 1992 and I am still waiting to have sex??!!! Kidding! So listen, I commend you on your aggression and unwillingness to restrain from physical activity that I am sure your surgeon has asked you not to do. I usually do not want my patients to engage in such activity for about 2-3 weeks. I do not know anyone who can have sex without elevating the heart rate. Heck I can barely look at my wife without my heart rate going up. When you have an elevated heart rate so soon after surgery you increase the risk of bruising and swelling and bleeding complications. While I am sure you are fine, I would ask and follow the advice of your surgeon. Clearly you do not have kids :-)

Richard J. Brown, MD

Post-op Care

+1

Cosmetic Surgeons will always ask patients to be very careful with their noses for about six weeks after rhinoplasty.  An open discussion with your particular Cosmetic Surgeon will confirm my thoughts.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sex and rhinoplasty

+1

I usually have patients avoid strenuous activity for 3-6 weeks.  I doubt that "gentle sexual relations" caused any significant problem.

Sex and Rhinoplasty

+1

Be sure to keep your head up.  After a Rhinoplasty, it is better to sleep elevated for 2 to 4 weeks,also.  I do not recommend sexual activity that soon after surgery, so I would discuss this with my plastic surgeon at my post op visit.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD