Bump on Bridge of Nose After Rhinoplasty

Soon after my rhinoplasty I noticed (through feeling) a small bump on the right side of my bridge. As the weeks go on it appears to be growing in size, I'm assuming this may just appear larger as the swelling goes down. Also, the area below looks dented. However, if I push on this area the bump, while very firm, will temporarily flatten out. It is sore to the touch, and it's just getting worse over time, appearance wise. I've uploaded a photo. My doctor says I have to let things settle.

Bump on Nasal Bridge after Rhinoplasty

+1

It would be best to avoid repeated nasal palpation -  feeling your nose may be the cause of  the soreness. The irregularity you feel might be the location of the nasal fractures done as part of the surgery, which have not healed. Appearance is important, not how it feels. Continue to observe throughout the healing process.

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty if the bump on your nose doesn't improve. Video attached.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photo. It's not clear how long ago you had your nose job. If the bump feels soft and compresses, sit tight and wait for the swelling to resolve.

If the bump is obvious due to an indentation below it, this may be improved by a well-performed Injectable Filler procedure. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps Due To Swelling Are Common Right After Rhinoplasty

+1

The bump to which you refer appears to have been there prior to your rhinoplasty. That bump is largely bone and may have been rasped or filed down as part of your procedure. While it is likely that this small bump may persist as your nose heals, it is important to let the swelling go down and see how much remains. Once you are at 6 months after your surgery, then you can make a final determination. It is also at that time that any secondary revision of the bump can be done if it still remains a problem to you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Nasal bump after rhinoplasty.

+1

You need to wait 6-12 months to let the swelling go down. So be patient and I'm sure your surgeon will follow things along.

+1

Are both photos after the surgery?  I see the bump you are talking about; this may be bone, but if it is bone, it wouldnt temporarily go away when you press on it.  Best to give it time to know for sure if it is just swelling, or if it is bone/callus or scar.  You may end up needing a revision, but should wait at least 6 months.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

From the pictures you send in, it appears that the bump after surgery was there before surgery. A bump on that area is usually bone, so your surgeon should be able to tell by feeling it. Also the skin on that part of the nose is quite thin, so a bump on that area is not usually swelling.

Since your surgery was recent you will still have to wait for more of the swelling to resolve. I tend to stay away from Kenalog/steroid injections as they could thin your skin and create red blood vessels. If it is indeed swelling, then patience will be your best advocate. If it is bone you may need a small touch up procedure. 

Make sure you consult with your surgeon.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feeling bumps on the bridge after rhinoplasty

+1

After the hump is removed in the course of a rhinoplasty, the bone and the cartilage are smoothed, though small imperfections can be present, and some callous will be present as the bones heal. Generally the bridge will just feel different and though your nose looks well the imperfections and healing tissue may be felt as a sore lump. The best thing to do is stop feeling, and give the skin and tissue rest and time.

peterejohnsonmd

Patience. Most bumps resolve

+1

Small ireggularities after rhinioplasty surgery are very normal.  Thety reprsent the healing phase as tissues accomodate and heal.  I know that it is difficult to be patient and it is easy to be anxious.  The vast majority of such irregularities simply resolve.  Sometimes a small kenalog injection may help things heal quicker.  You might want to ask your surgeon about this.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stay Hopeful after Rhinoplasty

+1

Areas of swelling and some unevenness can occur after a rhinoplasty.  They are more common in the early postoperative period.  I would agree with your surgeon, that you should give your nose some additional time to 'settle down'.  When you have surgery on your nose, it is natural to be concerned about this early period.  Patience is hard for all of us, but these areas of swelling usually improve over the next few months.  Following up with your surgeon on a regular basis is very important.  Occasionally, small injections with a very low dose steroid and/or the use of a small amount of "filler" can be done if the unevenness is out of the ordinary.  Revisional surgery is always possible, but it is best to wait at least 6 months or preferably 12 months or more, before making that decision.  Your surgeon should be able to help you and address your concerns every step of the way.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon