After Rhinoplasty is Performed, How Soon After Can You See if a Polly Beak Deformity is Forming?

I had an open rhinoplasty march 1st of this year, so I know I am relatively early on post-op. I think Im obsessed with the outcome results because I can not stop googling rhinoplasty complications- the one that comes up most is "polly beak deformity". Now when I look in the mirror I think my nose looks like I have polly beak. I know its only a month so there should be a lot of swelling or could it really be polly beak? How soon after can you tell if you have this? Sorry, I dont have pics to show

Polly Beak Deformity

+3

First of all you are absolutely correct in that its only a month out and there is a lot of swelling therefore it is very difficult to judge any aspect of your outcome including a polly beak deformity.  That being said a trained surgeon will likely be able to look at your nose and feel the bridge and have an idea of whether you are forming it or not.  There are several causes and depending on the cause you will have different times that it shows up and different treatment options.  I

f the reason you have it is due to inadequate reduction of your hump then you may see that as early as a month and it will likely get worse and the only solution is re-operation to remove the left over cartilage. 

If however the cause is fluid and scar tissue build up then it usually takes 2-3 months.  The treatment is often aggressive taping and sometimes injection of different anti-inflammatory agents into the area. 

Finally if the cause is because your tip support is weak and you projection falls then again you can tell that sometimes as early as 2-3 mons and the only treatment will be re-operation to correct the tip position. 

Bottom line is that even if you are creating it and have to re-operate, you should not touch your nose for 6-12 months after your initial surgery.  Otherwise you may make it worse.  Be patient and many times things will get better.

Hope that helps

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and a true "polly beak deformity" which is defined as run away scar tissue formation in the supra-tip.  This condition after Rhinoplasty is uncommon.  It most often occurs in thick/oily nasal skin and would take 6 months at a minimum.

Do I have a Polly Beak Deformity?

+1

In most cases it is impossible to determine if a polly beak is forming just 6 weeks after surgery but I need to see pictures to answer your question. Patience is the best treatment at this time.

+1

At one month following rhinoplasty, the junction between the tip and the dorsum will likely be swollen.  You will probably need 6 months or more to assess this more predictably.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Your nose should look good one month after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

Of course, be optimistic.  You are swollen, there is nothing you can do right now, and you will know for sure in another three months.  But if you do have a fulness right behind your tip, that is not a good sign.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Polly beak early after a rhinoplasty

+1

A polly beak type deformity early after a rhinoplasty is not unusual especially early and from an open rhinoplasty.  You may need up to 6 months or more for this area to resolve and for the roundness of the nasal tip to refine.  Give it time and trust your plastic surgeons advice.  

Supra tip fullness after rhinoplasty

+1

A polly beak or supratip fullness is something that is present because of the technical performance of the rhinoplasty and not some thing that will form at a later date. Your surgeon should know if you are on track for this point in your healing and if his and your goal will be reached.