How Soon After Rhinoplasty Can You Fix Alar Retraction?

For a minor alar retraction on one nostril, how long must I wait after rhinoplasty to get this fixed? Is it necessary to wait a full year? What would you recommend for a minor alar retraction (about 1-2mm)? Grafts, fillers, other?

Fixing Alar Retraction

+1

I would wait 9-12 months after rhinoplasty to correct alar retraction - it may change as the tip heals. There is no urgency, especially when you describe this as "minor".  Depending on location, a very small cartilage graft is usually the easiest treatment. 

Revisions after Rhonplasty

+1

Alar retraction of 1-2 mm may resolve if your rhinoplasty was fairly recent.  If you are convinced that revision is  necessary then I would wait a minimum of 6 months.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

How Soon After Rhinoplasty SHOULD You Fix Alar Retraction?

+1

Regarding : "How Soon After Rhinoplasty Can You Fix Alar Retraction?
For a minor alar retraction on one nostril, how long must I wait after rhinoplasty to get this fixed? Is it necessary to wait a full year? What would you recommend for a minor alar retraction (about 1-2mm)? Grafts, fillers, other
?"

I agree with Dr. Placik. The longer you wait before you jump in and try and fix it, the better the odds that time will greatly fix it itself. The repair would depend on the cause and location but in many cases you may need a cartilage graft support.

Alar retraction following rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

I would wait at least one year after surgery. If relatively soon after surgery this could be associated with scarring and fibrosis and could respond to massage, steroids or even low dose Botox. I would defer grafts for at least a year.

How soon can one repair an alar retraction after rhinoplasty.

+1

Best at wait at least 6 months. Fillers are not for this problem. A small graft is all you need from the ear or septum.