After Rhinoplasty Does Packing Make Your Nose Look Wider Before You Remove It?

ive noticed my nose looks wider after rhinoplasty. i have a splint on and packing inside which Iam instructed to remove in a few hours..will it look smaller when i remove the packing?

Appearance of Rhinoplasty Nasal Packing

+1

Yes, removing nasal packing will generally make the nose smaller or narrower. Packing type and shape will vary among surgeons and rhinoplasty procedures. If packing is used for your rhinoplasty, then it is typically removed the next day in the office.

Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Packing after Rhinoplasty

+1

While nasal packing is not a technique that I use in rhinoplasty, it can definitely make your nostrils look wider as it pushes them outward.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Nasal packing

+1

Generally speaking, even a small amount of packing placed in the nasal cavity following rhinoplasty will increase its apparent width.  After the packing is removed, some of this will resolve, but even then depending upon what type of rhinoplasty was performed, the nose may appear wide for several months as the swelling (edema) resolves.  Good luck.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Packing in the nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

In general the answer is yes. It depends on the type and amount of packing in your nose. Most surgeons today do not pack the nose or if they do leave it for a short period.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Packing in nose

+1

Yes, packing in the nose will make it look wider. After the packing is removed the nose will probably look narrower.

Results post rhinoplasty

+1

It will take several weeks before you see the full results from your rhinoplasty.  The area will be swollen and yes, the packing can make it wider.  Once the cosmetic plastic surgeon removes the packing, you will feel more comfortable and some of the volume will be reduced.  After several weeks you will see the nose has reduced in size. Dr. Stephen Mulholland

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Packing Making Nose Look Wider

+1

The packing may make the nose look wider at certain points.  You also have to factor in swelling, which makes early results look wider.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty packing

+1

Surgeons use different packing techniques and products so this would depend on what your surgeon used. Personally I remove my patients packs the following morning after surgery and I use a small telfa style pack that does not add much fullness in the nose. I have never had my patients remove their own packs so you may want to check your instructions and see if you are scheduled to have them removed in the office versus yourself at home. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD