After Removing Saline Implants, How Long Should I Wait to Have a Lift?

One of my Saline breast implants have ruptured and I'm planning to have them removed altogether. After the removal is done, how long should I wait to have a lift, should I need one? How long should I wait to let me breast settle and see if they have some elasticity and bounce back, at least a bit? I have had my implants for almost 20 years so sagging will be an issue along with other issues (I'm supposing) post removal. Thanks

+2

Hard to answer without photos and more info. 

If the non-ruptured side looks like it needs a lift, you might want to do the lift at the time of explantation. Otherwise, I find it better to wait several months and see if you feel your really need/want one or not. 

Implant removal and lift

+2

There are many factors tha can impact the timing of a lift with removal of implants. It depends upon the size of the implants, the volume of native breast tissue, and your skin quality.  Hard to say without an exam.  It can sometimes be done at the same time or staged.

Waiting for second phase of surgery

+2

You will need to give your breasts time to heal since capsulectomies may also be done with the implant removal.  A good estimate to plan the breast lift would be a minimum of three months, but preferably 6 months after your implant removal.  Good luck! 

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

When do breast lift after breast implant removal

+2

With the right side deflated now, you will have some idea how your breasts will look. Expect some improvement with time. I would recommend waiting 3 months minimum before considering a breast lift. You may be surprised that it looks acceptable.

Adrian Lo, MD

Adrian Lo, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured saline Implant

+2

Since you have ruptured saline implant , then you should have an idea if you will need a breast lift.

Having a breast implants for 20 years will require also total or partial capsulectomy.Remember also you have a 20 year of aging of the breast. if the implants are under the muscle then the muscle need to be sutured back to the chest wall.

You should wait about 3-6 months before a lift procedure if needed.

A breast lift can be done at the same time of explantation.

How long after explanation for a lift

+1
The good news is you have lots of options.  The least expensive and most time efficient thing to do would be to have the lift at the time of explanation. You might want to consider deflating the other side and "living with them" deflated for a while (you may know pretty quickly) which will allow you to make an educated decision about whether to not you want a lift.  Chances are they will look pretty close to what the deflated side looks like right now.  A recent study showed that there was some small but significant increase in breast volume after implants were removed so there is some theoretical advantage to waiting if you are really trying to avoid the lift.  Good luck.
I have written a blog on this subject which is posted on my website:

Mary Gingrass, MD

Removal and lift

+1
A lot more information would be necessary to determined whether you could have a combined vs. staged procedure, including the size of the implants and whether they are above or below the muscle. Many patients opt to combine the procedures in the understanding that a subsequent revision might be necessary. See a board certified plastic surgeon who is proficient in these operations.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Explants and Lift

+1

Thank you for your question. The lift can be done at the time of explant, and I would not expect much in the way of perkiness after 20 years of expansion. Decide on the lift before, and have it done at the same time. Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon . I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon