After Ptosis Surgery Consultation

I'm 26 and since I was 10 years old I had a mild right eyelid ptosis.One week ago I went through surgery to correct it.Right now my concern is that there was an overcorrection, expecially evident on my lookdown.I know it's too early to tell,but how long will it takes to understand if it's only a temporary overcorrection or if it'll be permanent?I've read that massages or forced contraction of the eye can help.This should be done in the days immediately after the surgery by myself?How?I also can't fully close my eye

Don't touch your eyelid without surgeons consent after ptosis surgery

+1

Please do not touch, massage or manipulate your upper eyelid after your ptosis surgery as you can disrupt the internal sutures that are correcting the eyelid ptosis. Call the surgeon and follow his/her instructions until the eyelid is fully healed which typically occurs at 3-4 months postop.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Overcorrected ptosis

+1
You do appear overcorrected- I agree with the other responses that you should let your surgeon know. Many see patients one week after surgery. It may be easier to correct this earlier rather than later. Often with undercorrection, waiting is recommended while we wait for swelling to decrease. Speak to your surgeon- perhaps this over correction was intended. Some surgeons do this for congenital ptosis repairs and expect some relaxation to occur.

Web reference: http://www.EYESandLIDS.com

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis correction

+1
It is definitely too early to jump, and there is definitely no emergency or any pressing reason to put anyon on notice. On your before photos your brow position is far lower than in your after. You are overcompensating for some of the initial muscle stun by elevating your brow. This is also why on down gaze your right lid doesn't come down as far. There may be an overcorrection but it is too early to tell and you have to let these dynamics play out.
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis overcorrection

+1

Looking at your photos,iIt is unlikely your overcorrection will improve. In fact, it might get worse as healing/scarring settles in. (This is unlike undercorrection, where it usually improves as swelling subsides.) You should contact your surgeon as soon as possible for possible correction.  You should also consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too early

+1
You just had surgery and too early to judge or do anything except talking to your surgeon. He or she can reassure you or tell you if you need revision.
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

This is overcorrected.

+1

Generally apparent under-corrections tend improve as the swelling resolves.  Over-corrections are an entirely different kettle of fish.  Of course we always await for the end of the week before taking action.  However, I urge you to call and speak to your surgeon today.  This is not an emergency but by contacting your surgeon, you are putting them on notice that you are seriously concerned about what is going on.  Some surgeons might even see you on a Saturday to understand what is going on (definite bonus points if they do), others will arrange to see you on Monday.  Either way, you need to have your surgeon assess what is going on.  At a week, I might be tempted to take you back to surgery and lower the placement of the stitches that are holding up the eyelid.  However, there is more than one way to approach this but the key is direct management by your surgeon.  Please call and speak with them today!

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Is it too early to evaluate overcorrection?

+1

no, you are overcorrected and I'm guessing your procedure was not done under local anesthetic and instead under general. the problem is estimating how much to correct is tricky, especially in congenital ptosis with a weak motor (levator muscle) and having the ability to check the repair with pt initiated eye opening is priceless. It will more than likely not improve spontaneously, unlike the appearance of undercorrection which improves as the swelling subsides. call your surgeon, overcorrection is so common, that there is a separate CPT (billing) code just for correction of overcorrection, so don't worry. but you have to let him/her know ASAP.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.