How Soon After Pregnancy is It Safe to Get a Tummy Tuck if a C-section Was Performed During Delivery?

What are the risks of having a tummy tuck too soon after delivery? Does it depend if you had a C-section versus natural delivery?

Tummy tuck after c-section

+1

I would wait at least 6 months for several reasons.  First of all you want to be back to your normal pre pregnancy weight or at least as close to it as possible.  Second, you need time to recover from the c-section without adding increased risk for blood clots or other complications.  Third, you are going to be very busy with the new baby.  You are not able to lift right after a tummy tuck for a couple of weeks,  someone will need to pick up the baby frequently not to mention all of the feeding, cleaning, etc.  You will not be getting much sleep for several months and you want your tummy tuck recovery to be as smooth as possible.  If you do it in 6 months then be sure you have help around as the baby still needs a lot at that age and you will not be able to do it by yourself.  Good luck!

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Wait For C-section Scar Maturation Before Tummy Tuck

+1

You should probablt wait for six months or more following your C-section before undergoing your tummy tuck.  This will allow time for the C-section scar to mature.  Assuming the C-section scar is transverse, the tummy tuck incision will likely be performed through the same scar.  This will also give time for your weight to stabilize.

John Whitt, MD

Timing of tummy tuck post partum

+1
I would not recommend another surgery for atleast 3 months to minimize your risk of blood clots. I believe sooner following a vaginal delivery. That is from a surgical risk viewpoint. The other issue is how your weight and other health issues have come along since childbirth. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Timing for tummy tuck following C-section

+1

Most surgeons want their patients to heal from major surgery for six weeks before they resume full activity.  The same concept would apply for a second operation.  It would also be ideal for your weight to be stable and to be done with breast feeding before performing a tummy tuck.  All things considered, my patients usually wait at least a few months after delivery to have their tummy tuck.

David Stoker, MD

How long to wait after baby to have tummy tuck

+1

I want my patients to be at a stable weight and be stable emotionally prior to any surgery.... especially tummy tuck surgery.  When the patient is at their baseline weight, the results are always best.  Allow yourself time to heal after the c-section and enjoy the time with your baby.

+1

From a surgical point of view I would like all swelling to subside and for  the weight to stabilize. I would like the tissues to be soft and supple so during surgery I can get an accurate idea how much loose skin I can remove. Finally, I would like the patient to be emotionally stable. The period immediately after pregnancy is extremely important for life long bonding between mother and baby. It should not be traded for a tummy tuck. Instead, a waiting period of 4-6 months should be observed. In my opinion, that would render the best results.

Peter A Aldea, MD