What are the long term health implications of Fat Injections to the breasts?

After several pregnancies and breastfeeding, I am considering a fat transfer breast augmentation. 
1) Can very large calcifications that require surgical removal present themselves? If so, is the main cause of the calcifications poor technique? 2) What are the long term health implications of fat injections to the breast- most importantly, does it increase the risk of developing breast cancer? I am considering this procedure to add volume. I am not looking for large breast, nor would I consider implants. Thank you for any insight you can offer!

+1
If you are comfortable with about a one cup size increase, fat transfer would be reasonable.   You are right to discuss all of these drawbacks of fat grafting.  The calcifications and the mammographic concerns are important to consider.

Health implications of breast fat grafting

+1
This is a common procedure in my practice for all types of breast conditions, including routine augmentation and reconstruction. Fat grafting to the breasts can lead to lumps, cysts, and calcium deposits. With proper surgical technique, significant problems related to these issues are uncommon.  These is no evidence that proves that breast fat grafting increases a woman's chance of getting breast cancer.

Timothy Connall, MD

Fat Grafting to the breast

+1
Fat grafting to the breast for breast augmentation is becoming more acceptable. There are many questions that are unanswered. Fat necrosis, stem cell fate, Stem cell and cancer, Mammograms and microcalcifications All these issues should be discussed with the patient, for both implants and fat grafting then you can make a decision.

What are the long term health implications of Fat Injections to the breasts

+1
Fat is a normal part of the breast. The question is whether grafting fat into the breast makes a difference in the long run. Since the mechanisms of healing come into play as the fat grafts take and since those mechanisms leave scar and occasionally calcium deposits  one problem is that calcifications that might be confused with breast cancer may occur leading to unnecessary surgery and aggravation.  Many studies have shown that calcifications from fat grafting or trauma  can be distinguished from cancer.

It can take decades and hundreds of thousands of cases to find out the right  answer to questions like this.  My feeling is that fat grafting to the breast is safe as much as anything surgical is safe. If my wife wanted to have it done I would not object.   

I might think twice about doing this is on very dense breasts which are difficult to read on mammograms.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon