How Soon After a Platysmaplasty with Lipo Can I Start Massaging the Area?

I still have swelling and some ridges which I understand is not unusual at this point. I stopped using ice and start using heat yesterday(day 7)as per instructions from the physicians assistant. Can I start massaging now? What technique should I use?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Neck Massage after Lift & Liposuction

+1

Gabrielle65,

It's common to start massaging the neck after a lower face lift, neck lift, or neck liposuction. Massage help soften the area and reduce swelling. One generally starts near the chin and massages downward  toward the collar bone.

When to start neck massage is best determined by your plastic surgeon. Typically, one waits at least 2 weeks, if not longer, before any massage of surgically treated areas. Only after evaluation by your surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would wait at least 3 weeks or so after a neck lift. Lumps and hard areas are normal and will resolve in 4-6 months. Heat can also help but be careful.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Massage after neck lift

+1

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  In our practice we typically start massage at 2 weeks post-op

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/face_lift.php

Massaging after a neck lift should not be started until 3-6 months after your procedure

+1

I don't often suggest massage to the neck lift areas.  Most of what is done is done during the procedure. And any issues are likely needing something more than just massage. Minor things like persistent folds could be improved by massage but other options exist.  Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

How Soon After a Platysmaplasty with Lipo Can I Start Massaging the Area?  For specific post surgical instructions you really need to listen to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Neck Lift.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Starting Massage After Platysmaplasty

+1

This is something that is best asked of your surgeon.  The risk in starting massage too early is tearing the sutures through the muscle. 

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon