How Soon After a Platysmaplasty with Lipo Can I Start Massaging the Area?

I still have swelling and some ridges which I understand is not unusual at this point. I stopped using ice and start using heat yesterday(day 7)as per instructions from the physicians assistant. Can I start massaging now? What technique should I use?

+1

I would wait at least 3 weeks or so after a neck lift. Lumps and hard areas are normal and will resolve in 4-6 months. Heat can also help but be careful.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Massage after neck lift

+1

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  In our practice we typically start massage at 2 weeks post-op

Sam Naficy, MD

Massaging after a neck lift should not be started until 3-6 months after your procedure

+1

I don't often suggest massage to the neck lift areas.  Most of what is done is done during the procedure. And any issues are likely needing something more than just massage. Minor things like persistent folds could be improved by massage but other options exist.  Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

How Soon After a Platysmaplasty with Lipo Can I Start Massaging the Area?  For specific post surgical instructions you really need to listen to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Neck Lift.  

Starting Massage After Platysmaplasty

+1

This is something that is best asked of your surgeon.  The risk in starting massage too early is tearing the sutures through the muscle. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon