After Otoplasty: What is Wrong with my Left Ear? (photo)

Hi, I just had an otoplasty in France 24 days ago and I feel like I have "telephone ear" deformity and a weird antihelix both on the left side. Please could I have your opinion? Are my concerns justified or are those just minor differences or differences time will fix? Thanks in advance for your time and your help.

Ear Stape After Otoplasty

+2

There are many techniques used for otoplasty.  Some doctors reshape the ear with sutures, while others use sutures and reduce or remove excess ear cartilage. 

The central third of  your ears on the frontal photograph show that this area has been pulled closer to your head than the upper and lower portions of the ear.   If the cartilage was reshaped and drawn closer to the head with sutures, this tight area in the central third of the ear will likely improve in the next 6 months.   If the cartilage in this area was removed, it may not change much.    It would be important to discuss your concerns with your doctor and find out more about the technique which was used.  

Your ears are in the early healing period, so I would stay calm and let things settle down a bit.  Stay in contact with your doctor and share your concerns so that you obtain the best results.

Good luck!

Dr. Bresnick

Prominent ear surgery questions

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos. The left ear does show absent superior crus of the anti helix. However, you are only 24 days after surgery and my advice for you is to follow all your post op instructions. You may want to wait for 6-9 months before having it reevaluated. Best wishes

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Surgical correction may be necessary if otoplasty is not successful

+2

Thank you for your question and photograph. I agree that your left ear does not look adequately corrected. It is a little hard to tell from the photograph, but it looks like your left antihelical fold is very wide and there does not appear to be any re-creation of the superior crus of the antihelical fold. It is possible for the thickness of the fold to improve over time, but the superior crus will not form on its own and will need to be surgically corrected in order to get the upper portion of your ear to fold back into proper position.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Deformity after otoplasty

+1

The correction of the anti-helical fold on the left is not true to the normal fold position and contour.  The top of the newly constructed anti-helical fold is too far medial.  It may not change much.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Prominent Ears

+1

The left Anti-helix is not positioned right. the ear lobe and the superior helix protrude, giving you the telephone ear deformity.