After an Open Reduction Operation for a Zygomatic Arch Fracture I Can Not Raise One Eyebrow. Will Movement Come Back?

1wk. ago I had an operation for my left Zygomatic arch. Incision was made under my hairline above my left temple. I have since not been able to raise my eyebrow. When I try only my right brow raises and wrinkles appear only on the right side of my forehead. I also noticed that my left brow is slightly lower than my right. What is wrong, tmporary or permanent? what should I do? Is the nerve that controls the raising the along my zygoma or where the incision was made ? further Info/advice?

Brow weakness and drooping after zygoma fracture repair

+1

The nerve that supplies the forehead and allows the brow to elevate is at risk of injury during certain approaches to correct facial fractures.  This injury is most likely temporary, but may be permanent.  It depends on how badly the nerve was injured during the procedure.  Fortunately, even if there is permanent injury and the brow becomes droopy and asymmetric, there are treatments available.  Botox or other botulinum myomodulators can be used to make the wrinkles go away on the opposite side and a simple brow lift procedure can be performed to raise the brow.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial paralysis after facial surgery

+1

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } BNS- the facial nerve which controls your brow runs from a point just in front of your ear, over the zygoma bone to innervate the muscles which control your brow. It can be damaged anywhere along that pathway during surgery. At times the nerve can get stretched or stunned by surgery, and any effects will often be temporary. If you are only one week out, it is too early to pass judgement. Meet with your surgeon and discuss your concerns as soon as possible. Worst case scenario if the nerve is permanently damaged there are means of raising the brow on the affected side. Best case scenario you will regain function as you heal with a bit of time. Best wishes, Dr S

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon