After a nasal fracture my nose looks crooked, what can I do to get it fixed? Would I need a rhinoplasty? (photos)

I had a nasal fracture about a month ago & I wasn't able to breath through my left nostril very well. I went to see an ENT & he preformed a closed nasal reduction as well as a septoplasty within 12 days of my fracture. My nose still looks crooked & I still cannot breath through my left nostril really well. What needs to be done to fix it? My nose looks diff & I've developed a bump on my nose as well. Is there a time span I would need to wait. Should I see another doc for a second opinion?

After a nasal fracture my nose looks crooked, what can I do to get it fixed? Would I need a rhinoplasty?

+1
It is too early to make a determination about the final result or the need for revision.

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose and breathing problems

+1
The rhinoplasty procedure for the crooked nose would involve medial and lateral osteotomies performed  through closed rhinoplasty technique,  which  is different than closed nasal reduction. The improvement of breathing can be performed after careful examination to identify the source of the breathing problem. Valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, a continued deviated septum and turbinate hypertrophy can all lead to nasal obstruction, but each one of these are treated differently.

Nasal fracture reduction.

+1
Nasal fracture reduction will be swilled for 6-12 months. Wait at least 6 months before any further surgery. 

+1
Sounds like you have both a functional problem, as well as a cosmetic issue.  Seek a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your options and expectations.  Take a copy of your operative report with you to your appointment, so that the 2nd opinion surgeon can review what was done.   You are still in the healing phase, so I would wait at least 6 months before having additional surgery.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Post-Traumatic Rhinoplasty

+1
It is best to consult with a board certified specialist in facial plastic surgery who has a background in ENT/head and neck surgery who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  The issues that need to be addressed include visually straightening out your nose and functionally ensuring that you can breathe through your nose.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you might look like afterwards and serve as an important tool for communicating with your surgeon.  

Kimberly Lee, MD

Broken nose (nasal fracture) sometimes needs surgery to fix the end effects

+1
Even when ENT doctors perform a closed reduction for a broken nose, it's possible that the nasal bones will settle into a poor position, or that the broken site builds a callous (a bony bump) during the weeks and months after the break.  In such cases, it's necessary to perform rhinoplasty to fix the problem.  If there is a breathing problem, that should also be addressed at the same time.  An experienced board certified ENT or plastic surgeon should be able to help.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon