After my Tummy Tuck and Lipo Surgery How Long Will I Be off Work?

Work Return after Tummy Tuck and Lipo

Work Return after Tummy Tuck and Lipo all depends on how extensive your surgery is and the physical demands of your job. For many, recovery for Liposuction in general takes 3-5 days after the operation for office work, and 14 days for more active employment.
Following a tummy tuck, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months to a year or more.
Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. 3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific recommendations.

Time off work for a tummy tuck

We find most patients are able to return to a desk job, drive safely, and function independently by 2 weeks.    We always recommend limiting core exercise or motions that place tension on the incision for up to 6 weeks.  

Therefore, if your work involves physical labor, you may require up to 4-6 weeks.  I wish you  a safe and healthy recovery!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

After tummy tuck and liposuction, relatively sedentary work can usually be performed within 1 to 2 weeks.  If there is more strenuous labor involved, 6 weeks is usually recommended.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA