After Having my Milk Ducts Removed Because of a Bloody Like Discharge my Nipple Has Became Black and Very Hard Why?

It looks as though its dead and trying to come off its only been 2 weeks what should I do ? My breast is so very sore and has busted open once and had to get another surgeon to put surgical tape back on to close it because my dr was out of the office.What is wrong and what should I do ? My surgeon just said to keep it clean and covered PLEASE help !

Black Nipple after Surgery

+1

A black nipple with hardness after breast surgery may represent partial or full thickness nipple areola necrosis.  This should be viewed by the plastic surgeon and monitored closely.

Post Operative Complication?

+1

Thank you for the question. It sounds from your description that the nipple may have lost its' blood supply causing it to become necrotic. It is very difficult to say much more than this with any confidence without a good in-person exam. You should see your plastic surgeon for further help and advice.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Nipple Has Become Black

+1

Sorry to hear about this, and I certainly understand your concern. You really need to see your surgeon or whoever is covering for  advice. Most likely, nothing other than dressings will be done emergently. 

There could be a hematoma which could fit what you describe. Or there could have been loss of blood supply to the skin of the nipple causing what you have observed. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Poor wound healing question

+1

If the nipple and areola are actually black and hard, it is possible the blood supply to that tissue has been compromised. You should be seen by the surgeon who performed the surgery. Hopefully this is a board-certified general surgeon or board-certified plastic surgeon. They should guide you through the healing process but without seeing you it is difficult to give you any more advice.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS