After my c-section is it better to get a tummy tuck or Lipo section?

I had my last child three years ago and I always been wanting to get a lipo or tummy tuck after my c-sections. Which one would be the best bet for me? Keep in mind I am only 22 so it's possible I may want/ or have another child in the next 5 years but as for now I want to be able to go out with out my stomach popping out because of my c-section.

Tummy tuck

+1

If you have a lot of stretch marks you may be best off with a tummy tuck, but should probably wait until you are sure you do,not plan to have more children in the next few years.

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1

Thanks so much for your e-mail. A lot of your answer depends on how things appear. The two surgeries try to accomplish different things. Liposuction is trying to remove fatty tissue and volume. A tummy tuck is trying to remove loose skin and tighten your abdominal wall muscles.if you were planning on having more children in the future then I would strongly encourage you to explore liposuction at this point. You would hate to have a pregnancy at some point in the near future and undo everything that was repaired with the abdominoplasty.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction After a C-Section?

+1

Most patients after having prior pregnancies would get a better result with a tummy tuck, with or without liposuction of selected areas. It is generally recommended to delay having a tummy tuck which would include tightening of the stretched and separated abdominal muscles until you have completed having children.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy shaping options after children

+1

Dear rhonda_lynnn,

Most women who have had three pregnancies are better candidates for a tummy tuck as opposed to liposuction. Liposuction can be used to reduce the amount of fat below the skin but it will not address loose skin, loose abdominal wall muscles, or stretch marks. If any of these issues are present it will be better to pursue a tummy tuck as opposed to liposuction alone. Of course a full discussion and examination will be needed to determine the best option for you.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

If you want to have additional children, you may want to wait on the tummy tuck. A physical exam would be necessary to determine if liposuction would produce a beneficial change.

Los Angeles,

C-Section Tummy Tuck or Lipo

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said you did not mention if you had a scar resulting from your C-Section which you would like to remove. Only consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who will physically examine you, can your options (lipo vs tummy tuck) be explained. Also, the fact that you may become pregnant again, after your procedure, is something you need to discuss with your surgeon. It may recreate your current situation and may require a second procedure.

Please read the link below which explains C-Section tummy tuck surgery.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Depends on how much skin and muscle stretch.

+1

In order to accommodate the growing baby, your skin and abdominal muscles stretch significantly. Often times the stretching can damage them and what's left is loose stretchy skin, stretch marks and muscle weakness. Whether or not you will benefit more from a tummy tuck or liposuction is determined by how much excess skin and muscle stretch you have.

If you are a better candidate for a tummy tuck, you need to discuss with your surgeon your exact plans for more children. A tummy tuck will not cause any risk to future pregnancy although ideally it's better to have completed your family. My general rule of thumb, and this will vary by surgeon, is that if you have plans for another child in the next 2 - 3 years I would wait. If it is going to be longer than that then I would do the tummy tuck though I explain to the patient that there is a chance of further skin and muscle stretch if there is a future pregnancy.

Daniel Careaga, MD