After Nearly 7 Months, Tip and Columella Are Still Stiff, is This Normal?

Stiff nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear lucthefrenchguy,

• It is common for the nose to be stiff following rhinoplasty surgery
  • It can soften a little over time, but likely not too much
  • This is especially true if you had cartilage grafting to reinforce the nose

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Rhinoplasty: stiffness of columella and tip 7 months after surgery

+2

Tip and columella are often stiff and quite numb for several months after surgery (up to 12 to 15 months); this is also in relationship to the kind of rhinoplasty (open vs closed) and if it was the first operation  (primary rhinoplasty). Finally the thickness of the skin plays an important role with thin skin allowing a shorter recovery and a thick skin holding swelling for longer. I would advise you to wait up to ten months and then book a review with your surgeon.

All the best.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

+1

Stiffness can persist for a year or longer, particularly if cartilage struts or grafts were used or placed.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Stiffness of nasal tip 7 months after surgery

+1

After 7 months, it is not abnormal to have stiffness in the nasal tip. In general, 70% of your swelling will resolve after the first three months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. Your nose will continue to improve over time. I would recommend discussing any concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD